The Grand Canyon on a Cold, Snowy Day


Advertisement
Published: April 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Grand CanyonGrand CanyonGrand Canyon

snow falling
This morning was cold and snowy. We had a little rain last night and we could hear the winds roaring in the tops of the trees, but it was calm enough down in the campground. Bob and Gena had battery problems which kept their heater from working properly. Bob had to get up in the middle of the night and run the car to keep the battery charged enough to run the heater fan. He managed to get a spot for tonight in the campground with hookups. We drove along the canyon road, stopping at a lot of rim sites in spite of blowing snow and cold temps. The views were still awesome even when partially obscured by falling snow. Late in the afternoon we began to get patches of sunlight breaking through the clouds and the effects on the Canyon views were spectacular.

We went our separate ways for supper, then visited a while with Jerry and Barbara, since they were heading for 4 Corners, then Moab in the morning. After our visit, we decided hot showers would do wonders for us, so we stopped to see if Bob and Gena needed a ride to the showers, which they
Grand CanyonGrand CanyonGrand Canyon

Snow and clouds
did. Feeling much refreshed (and warmer,) we stayed at Bob and Gena's trailer long enough to download and view our pictures from the day.

Then it was time to head back to our trailer to batten down and prepare for a really cold night, the forecast we heard was a low of 15. Just before bedtime, Kerry decided to drain the water tank, but it was already frozen at the drain plug. So he turned off the pressure pump, drained the hot water heater and the faucets, and we hoped for the best. We moved our bed out of the slideout, dropped the privacy curtains and crawled under the down comforters.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Grand CanyonGrand Canyon
Grand Canyon

Snow closing in
Grand CanyonGrand Canyon
Grand Canyon

Sun breaking through
Grand CanyonGrand Canyon
Grand Canyon

Squirrel fluffed out trying to keep warm
Grand CanyonGrand Canyon
Grand Canyon

with a little bit of sunshine


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb