The Grand Canyon Adventure


Advertisement
Published: August 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Canyon SquirrelCanyon SquirrelCanyon Squirrel

Graeme, AKA wildlife photographer, captures a Rock Squirrel
Next stop Grand Canyon, but first we picked up our little car(!!!) from the airport. Ok, so its not so little, but it is very comfy and sooo cool to drive.But yes dad, it is a gas gussler and we are probably going to have to sleep in it to afford the rest of the hol!! (but might wait until we are out of desert country to do that!!!)
We picked up Richard and set off to the Grand Canyon mid afternoon. 5 hours later, after we had a laundry stop at Terribles (the very strange named chain of every type of store, casino gas station and restaurant) Unfortunately the laundry stop meant we missed the sun setting over the canyon which I was mad about but made it even more exciting to wake up the next day to see sun rise, I just didn't tell the boys it would be at 5.34am!!
Its so hard to describe the Grand Canyon, it was just awesome in every way: the scenary, the heat, the steepness of walks into and out of, the wildlife we saw, the amount of people, and the colour of the rocks. Words cannot do it justice, so please refer to the snapshots!
Again, the heat was stifling and we had to plan trails away from the heat of the day - this said, they were much better ways to see the Canyon, and avoid the inevitable influx of tourists. Accommodation was ideal inside the Canyon park, and allowed us to easily access many scenic points around the south rim (free shuttle buses transported us on a loop to many trails and viewing points).
Meals were varied and plentiful, although Amy did upset the boys by having spicy chilli 3 days running (wind issues, if you get my meaning). Water and snacks were essential as the temperature rose the lower down the canyon we went, following various trails. But the scenery, the peace and tranquillity, and the varied wildlife and plant life made it extremely rewarding - definitely one of the 8 natural wonders of the world that were described at the information centre.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Reds on the edgeReds on the edge
Reds on the edge

A group of students looking over the edge of the Canyon, We looked on nervously and then went for a look ourselves!!
Amy in a holeAmy in a hole
Amy in a hole

I didn't want to look down at this point!!


5th August 2008

Wow
Well done the pictures are great. Mum wants to know how close you were to that rattlesnake, she was worried as they bite you know!!! Hope you are still enjoying the travelling, we are very jealous. Save some energy for more pics now you have cracked it.

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb