Unplanned


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
June 5th 2016
Published: June 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We were supposed to have done a float tour on the Koyukuk River today, but Jeff's instructions when he called to make reservations a month ago, to "check in when you get to Coldfoot", was pretty bad information. The tour company did not actually make note of our interest, because they did not have anyone available to give the tour. Well, then.

After eating a breakfast of sourdough pancakes and scrambled eggs, made and served by Uta, our host, she suggested we drive north on the Dalton to Atigun Pass, the high point of the Dalton Highway. We figured it would let us see those sights without having to slow down for photos tomorrow when we will be in more of a rush. It was really very beautiful with the snow. The temperature dipped to 25 at the pass. The road just north of Wiseman was fantastic, but worsened as we went further north.

After seeing the Pass, we drove back down to Coldfoot to visit the Arctic Interagency Visitor Center, where we learned a bit more about auroras, wildlife and life in the Arctic. We then ate at the Truckers' Cafe again. Our waitress, Lindsay, suggested Liam have the pancakes. It was a great idea, because they were the best pancakes we've ever tasted. I kept trying to steal bites, but Liam kept a close eye on them and dashed my hopes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Baby MooseBaby Moose
Baby Moose

We saw the mom and her baby at the stream. They were too fast for us to grab the camera until this.
WolverineWolverine
Wolverine

They live up here, but we will not see one in the wild.
Dall SheepDall Sheep
Dall Sheep

We would love to see one of these, too, but haven't on previous trips.
ConglomerateConglomerate
Conglomerate

This is from the South Fork of the Koyukuk River.


Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb