Alaska!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
July 1st 2012
Published: July 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

We finally made it! We crossed the border into Alaska at Mile 1,218 on the Alaska Highway. Yesterday we spent an extra day in Whitehorse. Larry needed to get two new tires - one for his camper and one for his truck - expensive. Some of the ladies went to the quilt shop. They do a lot of quilting and they like to shop in different areas of the country for new patterns and materials. Jim and Charlie went with Larry to get the new tires. I spent the morning cleaning and doing laundry. We went to Tim Hortin's for lunch. This is a chain restaurant in Canada. It has soups, sub sandwiches and pastries. Good. We took a tour of Whitehorse. Thought it would be bigger since it has over 27,000 people. But, they say the towncovers 10 miles. We went to church last night and the people there were very friendly. After church, we had supper at a salmon and ribs restaurant. Very old building - I think the oldest in Whitehorse. I had the salmon - very good. Then Jim and I split a sourdough bread pudding with ice cream covered with caramel sauce. Yum. Today we travelled all day. The Alaska Highway (I use the word highway loosely). Some places it is gravel, some places dirt and some places pot holes. It seemed like it got worse as we went along. Some places we were going 15 miles per hour. We also got another rock chip in our windshield. By the time we get home it will look like it has been shot with a gun. It was remarkable though as soon as we got into Alaska, the road got better. A lot better. After we left Whitehorse, we came to the Kluane Preservation area. The picture with this blog is coming into this area. There are about 2 million acres in this area. It has beautiful mountains and a lake that is around 150 square miles. Beautiful.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0709s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb