On To Anchorage!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
July 9th 2010
Published: July 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It was another sunny day for our first day in Alaska. We saw a moose and an eagle for wildlife. There were amazingly awesome snow-covered peaks in the Wrangell Mountains. The Milepost told us that the most prominent one was Mount Sanford, a dormant volcano. At a stop for fuel in a non-descript non-town, we paid $4.00 a gallon for fuel. The road was terrible again - even worse than yesterday! The Milepost travel guide that we're using, tells us to slow down for road damage and frost heaves ahead. It's a great guide. It even tells us what kind of wildlife to be ready to see and what kind of fishing is available. It tells us historical information and the names of the landmarks. We saw a glacier in the distance and turned around so we could find a vantage point. It was our first glacier, Nelchina Glacier. As we continued on, not much farther there was the Matanuska Glacier, which we had visited before when we lived nearby. We could get much closer to this one! We made our way down the canyon to Palmer, where we lived on our twenty acres for 2 1/2 years. It was idyllic. As we savored the lush, green landscape and the lovely, gorgeous views and the snowy mountains, we looked at each other and said, "Why did we ever leave here? What was the matter with us?" We had a nice dinner in the town of Palmer, which of course looks very different after 30 years. Then we drove down to take a quick look at our old road to our place. We got a little teary and nostalgic.
We got to Anchorage and set up our camper at Nancy and Janet's Aunt Jean and Uncle Dick and cousin David and family's driveway. The frost heaves made us a lot later than we anticipated, but it was still light! Hugs all around and falling into bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Mt. SanfordMt. Sanford
Mt. Sanford

I think...


26th July 2010

Unbelievably beautiful! I can't get over it. Maybe I'll go buy that same 20 acres.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb