Last Day in Canada


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon
July 8th 2010
Published: July 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Look back at our Skagway entry as we were able to add photos.

Today was sunny and warm! We drove past vistas with gorgeous mountains. Some were the highest mountains in Canada, including Mt. Logan at 19,000 feet. We continued the Yukon Gold stamps to the border. One stop was at a First Nations site where we talked to a very interesting man about his culture
and especially about the curing and use of moose hides. We stopped for lunch at a Visitor Center where there were supposed to be Dall sheep on the hillside. There were! We had to use their telescope to see four sheep way up on the top of the ridge, silhouetted against the sky. But we DID see them!
After lunch, the road was terrible! The permafrost had caused many, bad frost heaves, so the pavement was either cracked and patched or full of ridges and holes. We couldn't traavel faster than forty miles per hour, if that. Then we passed through a huge rainstorm! We stopped at another Visitor Center near the border and Nancy asked what was wrong witht the trees around there. Well, the spruce trees are infested with the spruce bark beetle, so many of them have died and turned brown. The aspens are being attacked by leaf miners, a small moth that lays eggs on the branches in fall and when the eggs hatch in spring, the tiny caterpillars burrow inside the leaf and leave tiny trails. Imagine a caterpillar small enough to burrow inside a leaf! After that stop, the weather got nice again and we got to the border crossing. We had no delays or any waits in lines. We made it! We stayed at a nice RV park in Tok, Alaska, and had time to do laundry. The sun barely goes down now. It's a twilight for a few hours and then comes up again. We haven't seen it rise or set for days, but we've been tired enough to sleep and not even notice the light.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



26th July 2010

Such beautiful country... I can't wait to see ALL your photos when you get home!

Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0967s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb