Haines Junction, Yukon to Dease Lake, B. C.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
September 7th 2007
Published: September 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A Bear on the Side of the RoadA Bear on the Side of the RoadA Bear on the Side of the Road

We saw 3 black bears on the Cassiar. This is the only one that stayed around long enough for us to take a picture. He seemed unconcerned.
Friday September 7, 2007 It was a cold night! We were on the road again by 8:00 am. At Haines Junction the road turned west and the condition was much better. We traveled through Whitehorse, the capital of Yukon and it’s a good sized town. It was mid-morning and since we found a McDonald’s we stopped for a sausage biscuit. They didn’t have biscuits - - everything’s on an English muffin. After Whitehorse the autumn colors were not as vivid or as far along. Traffic was light and we noticed that a lot of RV parks and services along the road were closed. The season is about over here.
We left the Alcan Highway around 3:30 pm and went south on the Cassiar Highway. This is a “shortcut” to Rt. 16 and it goes by Hyder, AK which is known for its bear viewing (we planned to stop). The Cassiar is a main route, in Virginia it would be considered a back road; no shoulders, no center line, hilly and curvy and limited services. It’s about 500 miles long and most of it is paved. There were sections that were bad, but we thought it was pretty good. We may not have said that back in June, but now we are experienced North Country travelers and know what “bad” can be. We also enjoyed the autumn colors and scenery. We stopped around 8:00 pm. CT had gone 416 miles.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 93; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb