Dease Lake, B. C. to Hyder, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Hyder
September 8th 2007
Published: September 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Saturday September 8, 2007 Dease Lake is about 4.5 hours from Hyder. We planned to reach Hyder by afternoon. The road was even better today so we made good time. The highway turned toward the southeast and the scenery started to change. Mist draped the blue mountains and moss hung on the douglas fir trees. Waterfalls streamed down rocky mountain crevices and there were glaciers. Fall was just beginning to show itself. Hyder is part of Southeast Alaska in British Columbia, kind of funny. The mountains separate Hyder from Wragell and Ketchican. It’s a quirky place, known for bear viewing at Fish Creek.
After we checked into a campsite, we headed to Fish Creek. There’s a viewing platform above the creek and the bears fish below it. Maybe 50 people were there, but it wasn’t crowded and there was plenty of room for everyone to take photos. The area is part of the Tongess National Forest and park rangers are on duty. They keep the bears and people under control. We were there for 3 hours and one brown bear came twice to fish for salmon. It was terrific to watch and we got some good photos. The odor of rotting fish is hangs around the creek.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Do Her Eyes Look Bloodshot?Do Her Eyes Look Bloodshot?
Do Her Eyes Look Bloodshot?

I took lots of photos. These give you an idea. It was great watching her.


Tot: 0.326s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 97; dbt: 0.2212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb