Denali Highway, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
August 21st 2007
Published: August 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Saturday August 18, 2007 We got on the road by 7:45 am. It was decided I would drive today and Frank would read the geology guide. I’m good at the gravel roads because I drive slowly naturally. This gravel road isn’t as bad as others we’ve been on so the going’s not too rough. We took our time. I stopped for photo opportunities and Frank stopped for birds more than for geology. We saw loons, northern harrier, different types of sparrows and ducks. This is the best we’ve done in birding.
The tundra terrain is expansive and you can see a long way. The low shrub is not too difficult to walk through. Hunting is big is this area. There are lots of informal campsites right off the road.
We stopped before 3:00 pm on a high ridge with a large lake below and decided to spend the night here. We had traveled about 29 miles. There was a view of low mountains in the distance behind the lake and a nice breeze blowing. The only thing bad about the road is the dust; can’t open all the windows. The day was warm, mid-70’s and with the sun shining it got downright hot, but clouds moved in so we may be in for rain tomorrow. There were trumpeter swans and American wigeon ducks on the lake.
After dinner we walked on the road. Birds weren’t as plentiful as the night before. We did see an eagle sitting by the side of the lake.
The clouds cleared a bit in the evening, but there were still enough to have some sunset color. It was so pleasant and peaceful taking photos at 9:45 pm. The scenery was beautiful. There were no “human” noises, just the sound of loons calling, distant swans quacking and the fish splashing in the lake (in Alaska fish jump). I felt so blessed to enjoy this part of God’s creation.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



8th February 2011
Tundra Views

Perfect
This is very good view of the Tundra Biome espically for my younger bro,Nathan, 12 .

Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 98; dbt: 0.0887s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb