Denali Nat'l Pk, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Denali
August 21st 2007
Published: August 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dall SheepDall SheepDall Sheep

Frank stumbled on 3 ewes and 3 lambs at the top of a ridge.
Tuesday August 21, 2007 This morning we started down the Denali Highway about 8:00 am. We drove to Savage River which is 15 miles into the park. Our plan was to walk a loop trail recommended in a book I have on Denali Hikes. This was a marked trail into the Savage River Canyon. Before we started charting our own path we wanted to get a feel for the area. It was cloudy and rained alittle as we drove the paved road. Didn’t see any wildlife on the way. The temperature was in the high 50’s. Only one car was parked at the trailhead (parking is always better early morning). It was not a problem finding the trail. As soon as we left the parking lot we saw Willow Ptarmigan. These birds look similar to a chicken and are abundant in the park. Their plumage turns white for the winter. They are the Alaska state bird. When we crossed the river on a bridge to go up the other side of the stream, Frank decided to go off the regular path and explore the ridge. I followed and it wasn’t difficult climbing up higher. There were various trails up the mountain. I’m not sure if they were made by people or sheep. I stopped at a point where I was pleased with the view and Frank continued to the top of the ridge. He said as he went up he had to “bushwhack” (the term used to move through the higher bushes and vegetation) his own trail. When he reached about 1000 feet (according to GPS) he moved to the side of the ridge and when he looked down he saw Dall sheep (3 ewes and 3 lambs) about 5 feet below him and 25 feet away. They didn’t move, just looked at him and continued grazing. He was very excited and got good video. He also saw a golden eagle.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Willow PtarmaginWillow Ptarmagin
Willow Ptarmagin

They look like a chicken.
Hoary MarmotHoary Marmot
Hoary Marmot

They look like a big cat with a bushy tail.
Arctic Ground SquirrelArctic Ground Squirrel
Arctic Ground Squirrel

Since I'm doing animals I'll show you him too. He and the marmot are neighbors.


Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 95; dbt: 0.1186s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb