Hiking in Jasper


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
July 2nd 2007
Published: July 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Monday, July 2, 2007 At 7:30 am we headed out to Mt. Edith Cavell to hike Path of the Glacier. This mountain was named for a British nurse in WWI, who was captured by the Germans and executed as a spy. The mountain road up to the hike is paved (barely) but narrow and curvy. CT meets the length restriction, but we wanted to beat the crowds. It was a loooong, bumpy road.
The hike goes to the area where 3 glaciers meet. The largest one (Cavell) is at ground level and has a small ice melt pond in front of it. The other 2 have retreated up their mountains. It was a neat perspective. There are boulder fields (moraine) all over the area where the glaciers retreated. Spruce and fir trees are starting to grow in the soil. Eventually there will be a forest in the area.
We checked into one of the big campgrounds about 11:00 when everyone was checking out. No electricity, but we needed to fill up and flush out.
In the afternoon we took the Valley of the Five Lakes Hike, a walk around 5 blue-green lakes. Frank decided to take an alternate route and we didn’t see the first lake for almost 2 miles! We did eventually (heavy breathing) come to them and they were very scenic.
I’m having a hard time figuring out how to carry my photo equipment so I am able to hike. I’ve given up the tripod - - too heavy. I have a small photo backpack - - found that’s too heavy for lengthy treks. So I tried my photo vest. That’s close to 10 lb and it slows me down too. I may end up with just my point and shoot.
We are ready to move on toward Prince Rupert tomorrow.





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



5th July 2007

beautiful
I appreciate your sending these pictures and emails... What a beautiful place, esp the lakes......... Frank should help you with your equipment. Know it must get heavier and heavier.... as one travels those miles. Frank should wear that thing you got for the turtle so you wouldnt get lost..LOL! Have a good "un. LOve and Prayers your way. betty

Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 98; dbt: 0.1313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb