God Help Me


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Valdez
July 28th 2007
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

Well, things just keep getting weirder and weirder!!!! We left Anchorage on Thursday around noon heading south for Homer in the Kenai Penninsula thinking we had approximately a 3-4 hour drive taking into consideration a couple of stops for points of interest. The first point of interest was the Alaskan Wildlife preserve which was exciting for us all as they had the most amazing Elk, Moose, Musk Ox, Sitka deer and 2 brown bears. We snapped many shots (I know you want to see them but so far I haven't had the time to load them in). Then, we headed merrily down the road for about 20 minutes and encountered road construction which saw us waiting in live for an hour and a half before we were able to move on down the road. We were actually ready for lunch before we even hit the construction so you can imagine our state of mind once we were free to go. Little did we know we'd drive for another hour and a half before we found a restaurant. Thankfully it was a good one and we had fabulous clam chowder, halibut and apple pie. Then back in the care for another hour and a half 'til we got all the way to the end of the road in Homer for what was to be our castle for 2 days. We checked into the hotel and went to our room only to be greeted by the dumpiest looking room with a worn out bed and some scary funky little drop out of the wall bed which Madison was expected to sleep on (I guess they thought we had a toddler with us). Well, Queen Lana went into massive attack and called the front desk to explain no way was she staying in that goofey place. They were completely booked but did have a 2 bedroom we could have for an additional $300 per night but we'd need to move out the next day and into a 3 story townhouse (turned out to be amazing) for a mere $400 per night extra. We took it----I also called the tour company that booked us in and they did cover the extra so we were pretty okay.
Things were looking better until we realized we had to be up by 5 am and on the road in order to make it 4 hours away to catch the ferry from Whittier to Valdez!!!! Madison slept most of the way and Dick and I spoke little until we encountered 3 moose along the side of the road which made for lighter moments. I didn't dare have coffee before we headed out as who knew where we'd find bathrooms-----I'm no fun in the morning anyway and having no coffee at 5 am is really no fun.
Anyway, we made the ferry just fine, had a beautiful 3 hour cruise through Prince William Sound and arrived in Valdez only to check into the best place in town which turned out to be Le Dump!

Advertisement



30th July 2007

you should bring a camera crew ...will be a great reallity TV show Love the 3 hours of tension before your incounter with the moosses Keep it up , I'm laughing my ass off !!!!!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb