Valdez, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Valdez
July 22nd 2007
Published: July 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunday July 22, 2007 We decided to go to Church today. This is the first Sunday in a long time we haven’t been traveling. We chose the Church of the Nazarene. It turned out almost the entire congregation (which is small) and the Pastor had gone to a wedding ceremony in Fairbanks this weekend. There were about 20 people there and 8 were visitors. It was a nice service though and the Lord blessed it.
After lunch we visited another part of the Valdez Museum that went into detail about the 1964 earthquake. About 30 people from Valdez died in the earthquake when the boat dock collapsed and about 30 feet of land fell into the harbor. They decided to reconstruct the town on another site. The City of Valdez does a nice job with their history. You can tell there is a community sense of pride. We also watched a video on the Alaska pipeline. The oil flows 800 miles from the Arctic Ocean to a Valdez terminal where it is shipped out. Building it over all types of Alaska terrain was an engineering accomplishment and they are proud of that too.
It was cloudy and chilly most of the day, but didn’t start to rain until the evening.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 103; dbt: 0.1087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb