Valdez, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Valdez
July 20th 2007
Published: July 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sun Breaks Through CloudsSun Breaks Through CloudsSun Breaks Through Clouds

Early morning view across the Valdez Harbor from our Allison Point campsite
Friday July 20, 2007 When I woke up and looked out at the inlet, I noticed the morning mists across the channel were unusual so I snapped some photos. We headed into Valdez fairly early. Got info at the Visitor’s center and did grocery shopping. The grocery store people were some of the friendliest I’ve come across.
We checked out the salmon spawning area the Forestry Dept set up. Several salmon were in the creek, but they are just starting.to arrive here. After lunch we drove a back road that led to a hiking trail. The dirt road was bumpy, but we stuck with it until we got to a creek washout. Then we parked CT and walked a few miles through the Mineral Creek Valley, which was nice. It was partly sunny and the temp was pleasant. We never made it to the actual trail, but did enjoy the waterfall and the scenic walk.
Tonight CT is parked in the Valdez Glacier State Park. It’s in the woods and more private than where we stayed last night. That was a state park too, but you basically were on the side of the road. However, it was great if you were a fisherman. There have been black bear sightings in this campground and there were brown bear sightings where we stayed last night. A bald eagle has a nest several campsites down from ours. The female was out surveying the area so after dinner I took photos. Don’t know when I’ll have the advantage of such great posing again!




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Nesting Female EagleNesting Female Eagle
Nesting Female Eagle

Nest was in the Valdez Glacier campground where we stayed.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb