Day 54 - We made it to Alaska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Tok
June 23rd 2013
Published: June 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The day started at 4:30 am. We had to be on the road by 5:30 am so we could catch the ferry across the Yukon river at 6:00 am. There was a caravan group of 23 RVs that were scheduled to be at the ferry at 6:30, so we had no choice but to be there before they were. Today's journey took us from Dawson City, Yukon to Tok, ALASKA. Yes, we finally made it to Alaska. We were warned the road was mostly packed gravel, but the scenery would be well worth the trip. Let's just say it took us 9 hours to go 186 miles. Other than a few pee stops and a stop in Chicken, AK, for a lunch break, we were on the road all day. It was slow going, but it allowed me plenty of opportunity to take some good pictures. The road between Dawson City and Chicken is called the "Top of the World Highway". Although we only were at 4,571 feet at the highest point, we did feel like we were at the top. Besides the other RVs there was absolutely nothing along this road. It was a special trip, but we are all totally pooped from the journey. Now our vacation truly begins, six glorious weeks exploring Alaska.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb