Quick version: Juneau + Skagway


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Skagway
May 25th 2011
Published: May 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Again, another super quick entry:

Juneau: yesterday we spent the morning at Mendenhell Glacier just outside Juneau. I hiked all around the base of the glacier - stunning blues from the ice. I ended up following a fieldtrip class (yeah, I'm a stlaker haha) because they seemed to have a better trail. Got some amazing shot I'll add later.

In the afternoon we took the tramway to the top of the mountain in Juneau - they have a rescued eagle up there - holy, they are beautiful creatures to see up close. Again, I hiked a bit up the mountain, but the trails were still slippery and covered with snow, so i didn't go very far.

Skagway: this morning we went up to the Yukon Suspension Bridge (which oddly enough is located in British Columbia...?). The bridge was great - standing over a huge gorge with a rushing river. On the way up, we drove up White Pass Sumit - the scenery was breathtaking - the mountains, the valleys, everything. Well worth the trip. We even saw a bear from the safety of our bus. Excellent.

In the afternoon we panned for gold!! Aw yeeeehhhhh. We got a decent amount actually - 2.1 ounces worth approx. $20 apparentelty. Which we got to keep =)

Tomorrow we're spending the day cruising around the Hubbard Glacier - talk to you all soon!

Advertisement



26th May 2011

Sounds wonderful
Julie, Your descriptions are so vivid even in abbreviated form. Can't wait to see some pics. Say hi to your mom for me. Safe travels and keep those bears at a distance especially the mommies.
28th May 2011

re: Joan
Thanks! It feels weird doing those short updates, but I should have all the original posts up within the next day or two. We saw a few bears, but all at a safe distance ;) My Mom says hi back!

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1015.5kb