DAY 8 & 9 SIKTA, ALASKA INSIDE PASSAGE ALASKA HIGHWAY


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Sitka
June 24th 2005
Published: July 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

A person is only as good as what they love._______Saul Bellow





June 24, 2005, Friday. The system of getting on and off the ferry is now down pat.
Our campground is right next to the ferry dock, and 13 mile to downtown Sitka.
We have not had any cell reception with Verizon, since WA. People with Cellular One are fine.
Today was our first mail pick-up, everything went smoothly, thank you Jamie and Denise and Mike!!
We walked around downtown. Sitka faces the Pacific Ocean. The waters offshore are broken by a myriad of small-forested islands, which are just lovely. Snow-capped mountains flank the town. However, when the cruise ships dock, the town is flooded with tourists. It changes the natural beauty into a carnival atmosphere.

Our neighbors, Jim and Bonnie graciously invited us to dinner. As we had dinner together, we watched as bald eagles fought over a dead fish on the beach. When it comes to food the bald eagles are serious fighters. This time of year, they are also feeding their babies.

To err is human, to forgive divine.____Alexander Pope



June 25, 2005, Saturday. Time to reorganize. Living in a small RV requires a great deal of organization. Everything needs to have a “home”. Things can’t be left out or they will disappear or go flying as we drive down the highway.
We went for a hike into the Tongass, N.F. As we read the direction about what to do when confronted by a bear, I read carefully: 1.) Introduce yourself to the bear, speak loudly and clearly? (“Hello Bear, I am Maureen and this is Bob”,) …..I don’t know. 2.)Then back away in a diagonal path from the bear. (How does one think about a diagonal line at a time like this?) 3.)If the bear advances, wave your arms and shout. (What does one shout?) “Hey Bear get away from me, or I might hurt you, (yeah, right!)”? 4.) If the bear continues to advance, curl into a ball and wait??? 5.) Never run, the bear will definitely outrun a person! 6.) If the bear is a predator, he will attack and claw and bite. So fight like hell (and pray)? “Why?” I ask myself, am I on this trail? How important is it? Honest, this is what was posted at the trailhead. Did we hike? Well, yes, of course. No bears, just some deer tracks.
The hike was in the Starrigavan Bay State Park, it was built by the Forest Service. This old park was redone with camping. We stayed there one night. What a beautiful place for eight dollars, Golden Eagle Pass. Trails all though the park, bird watching platforms, fish viewing, Salmon, great kiosks, maps information, etc.
We went back downtown, with NO cruise ships it was like a ghost-town.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb