DAY 7 WRANGLE, ALASKA INSIDE PASSAGE ALASKA HIGHWAY


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Wrangell
June 23rd 2005
Published: July 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

People are unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered. Love them anyway. _____Mother Teresa






June 23, 2005, Friday. Bob and I decided to get away from each other for a while, a little too
much togetherness. I walked out to Petroglyph Beach. It is believed the Indians before the Tlingits, carved these symbols on the rocks at the cove. Why? Well, folks don’t agree. Some guesses include a tribute to the great salmon, a fish that returns year after year, and sustains the natives. Another thought is, the symbols welcome back the fishermen to the safety of home.
Bob was walking, looking, and talking with the town’s people. This is a nice friendly town. He talked with the city manger. This town went from 3700 to 2700 population, and now 1900. The sawmill closed and it hurt, but the town is trying to move on.
Bob walked along the beach and notice rock that looked like waves. He picked up a rock it was very hard
Mt. Dewey Trail is just up behind the town. It is a climbing trail and goes up into the Tongass N.F. I started up and found a boardwalk and then wooden steps. So aside from the slight climb it wasn’t difficult, as the sign indicated. It ended at a work area, with tools and boards everywhere, but no workers. It had a nice view.
St. Rose of Lima Church was the first Catholic Church in Alaska, established in 1879. We tried for the noon mass but it was a “no-show”.
Today is rain, rain and more rain. So far it seems, “If you don’t like the weather, hang around, it will change.”
The ferry left at 6:30PM and we had a berth again. We arrived in Sitka 9:30 AM.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



5th October 2006

My boyfriend I went there and went on that hike! wasn't it wonderful?! beautiful pictures!!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb