KENAI SPUR HIGHWAY


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Kenai
July 15th 2005
Published: September 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.----Sir Winston Churchill



Locations : Towns of Soldotna, Kenai, and Kasilof For those that have a map of Alaska

July 15, 16, 2005. As we left Seward, we stopped for a patch to add to our collection of the Kenai Peninsula. Then on to the Post Office, we went to pick up our vests from Juneau. Yeah they were there!
The first stop was Stoldotna where we had a picnic lunch at a church yard. We were curious about the “fish walks”. The “fish walks” are available for folks to fish without the cost of hiring an outfitter to take them out fishing.
The next stop was Kenai. We took the walking tour of the town and stopped at a Russian Orthodox Church for some pictures. Then returned to the visitor’s center for a demonstration of the NYO Native Youth Olympics, games and competition.
It seems lightening strikes started a fire in the mountains, and the smoke was heavy and spreads. The people here in Alaska are in a wonderful natural world but are also subject to natural disasters. The radio spoke of thousands of acres of trees burning. So what they do is, try to prevent it from spreading but just let it burn. The air was smoky.
Kasilof was our stopping place for the night. Just before arriving we watched a moose walking along the side of the road. At the campground, Bob played on the computer and I went for a walk out to crooked creek on a dirt road. It is peaceful, however, I keep thinking of bears!

July 16, 2005, Saturday. We left Kasilof and stopped at Clam Gulch. A great place for claming but the tide was not right?! We arrived in Homer just in time for the farmer’s market. We walked around made some purchases, and heard about the art festival at the high school. The art festival was neat as we enjoyed the music and festivities.
We found Driftwood RV Park and decided to go for a bike ride, now that we have bikes, why not? We biked down toward the “Spit Trail”, we biked some and decided to go back and safe it for tomorrow.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb