DAY TO REMEMBER


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
July 17th 2005
Published: September 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Homer


It is not enough to be busy…..The question is what are we busy about?----Henry David Thoreau




July 17, 2005, Sunday. We decided to drive out to the “Spit”. It seems to be a throw back to “Hippie-Ville”. The Spit is the end of Homer, there is not where else to go except into the water of Cooks Inlet. There are lots of little shops and things that were started but…..very disorganized.
The “daylight thing” got us up early, so we did some laundry before going to mass at 11:30 at St John the Baptist. We sure got our money’s worth, the service went on for a long, long time. The priest was from my home dioceses in Newark, NJ, and had been briefly at my home parish, Our Lady of Fatima, North Bergen, NJ, but I don’t remember him. It sure is a small world. This was an interesting experience, but I know I would not be comfortable in this controlling atmosphere. He seemed like a tyrant and this would not work for me.
Back on the bike we were off to the “Spit”. This is the capitol of halibut fishing in the world! Can I buy halibut?…no! It seems everyone has a freezer full of halibut and salmon. I finally found a fish market and got our halibut. Lots of little shops and tourist stuff on the spit. As we biked back we hit head winds, wow it was tough going!
We heard about Robert F. Kennedy speaking at the Elks Club for the Cooks Inlet Keepers. This seemed like something we would like to support, so off we went for dinner (halibut, salmon) and to listen to “Bobby”. The Inlet Keepers are a group of people dedicated to maintaining the waters as a safe place to fish without pollution from industry.

He looked and sounded just like his father Bobby


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Bobby Kennedy JrBobby Kennedy Jr
Bobby Kennedy Jr

He is working for clean water in the area bay


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb