Juneau, Alaska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Juneau
September 11th 2018
Published: September 11th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Today we arrived in Juneau. We actually didn't dock until around 1:00pm so there was quite a but of time on the boat today before we docked.

We woke up and all got ready and met in the dining room for some breakfast and then headed up to the decks to look out at the scenery as we were very close to land. While I was out there I did see some dolphins swim by the ship as well as one whale.

We all wound up back in the room and watched a movie and hung out until we started approaching Juneau. While everyone was rushing to get off the ship we had some lunch on the ship and by the time we got off the line was not that bad.

We immediately hailed a cab to take us to Mendenhall Glacier National Park. Our cab driver, Jimmy, was great as he showed us around Juneau and talked about his life in Alaska on the way to the park. We scheduled to meet him for our ride back after spending two hours in the park.

The three of us visited the information center and then headed off on the trail to go to Nugget Falls that is next to the Glacier. The hike was a really nice walk and we were expecting cold weather, but it was bright and sunny and not a cloud in the sky. It was actually a little warm so by the time we arrived at the falls, the wind from the glacier and the mist from the falls felt really good.

You can get really close to the falls and we took a lot of pictures before heading back to meet our cab driver. On the ride back to town he showed us how to spot a bald eagle in the trees and we did spot one, so I am hoping to spot a lot more over the next few days.

Arriving back in town we walked around the shops and stop to have a drink at the Red Dog Saloon. Apparently Kristy's dad used to come to this bar when he was stationed in Alaska with the Coast Guard so we all had a drink in his honor while we were there.

I was craving some delicious crab so we went to Hanger Grill where our cab driver said they have the best crab legs and boy was he right.

Since it had been a long day we got back on the ship and called it an early evening as we had a very good and eventful day in Juneau.

Tomorrow we are sailing through Glacier Bay so expect a lot of pictures of glaciers tomorrow and hopefully some whaled. Keep your fingers crossed!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Drury's PoseDrury's Pose
Drury's Pose

We started playing with the portrait function on our phones to try and take better pictures

Red Dog SaloonRed Dog Saloon
Red Dog Saloon

Kristy's father used to come here when he was stationed in Alaska with the Coast Guard


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0683s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb