Day 10 - progress by ferry continues


Advertisement
Published: July 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post


We wake up to perhaps the most amazing view ever. Nothing but ocean to the left, but up ahead the entire horizon is made up of a chain of snow-covered, rugged mountains. A clear and sunny day sets them off just perfectly. Gemma gets a bit trigger-happy with her (film-using) camera, but for once it's worth it.

We dock in Yakatat and wave goodbye to 3 American surfers who have heard that there are some good waves within 100 miles or so. The cycle off, pulling their homemade surfboard-holding trailers behind them. Nutters.

We are in a big, 700 passenger capacity ferry. And we are in a port that has more or less just a jetty, in a town whose census could be done by just asking one of the residents. But there are a couple of camper vans on the dockside waiting to get on. As if by magic, the side of the ship suddenly disappears to reveal a crane, a turntable like the ones that used to turn steam engines around at the end of the track, and eventually a ramp that comes down onto dry land. Hugely impressive stuff.

Also on the dockside we watched an impressive display of dog obedience. Our US Coastguard friend, Rob, is taking his dog for a walk and makes a pistol shape with his hand, points it at the dog and says 'bang'. The dog then rolls over EXACTLY as if it had been shot. Even writhing around on the floor. Christian Ronaldo would have been proud.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.335s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 24; qc: 103; dbt: 0.2037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb