Day 21 - June 1, 2017 Day at Homer Spit, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
June 2nd 2017
Published: June 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day in Homer, AK and fishing trip


Today was a very relaxing day as we are spending it here at the Homer Spit, and not traveling again until Friday. After a very leisurely morning, we took a walk with John and Dianne down to the dock area, where all the shops are located. We met up with Dorrie and the girls started browsing through the various stores. This whole area is only open from early May through the middle of September, at which time everything is closed down and the power and water shut off. The only place that remains open is the Land's End Inn and condos at the end of the spit. There is a cruise ship that sails out of Juneau that stops here once a week, and it's a real boom to the venders when it arrives.

At 12:30, the 4 of the folks from the Naples, FL group met Ray at the Charter Boat location, and proceed to their vessel, The Whistler, for a half day of Halibut fishing. They left the spit area and headed out through Katchemak Bay to Cook Inlet. Seas were very calm, and Ray reported numerous rafts of sea otters out there. Some of the passengers claimed to have seen a whale or two, but they weren't seen by Ray. After an hour of cruising, they dropped anchor and began hauling up Halibut. Each person is allowed to keep 2 fish daily, with an annual limit of 4 fish. (government regulation). You're allowed only 1 fish over 28 inches. Everyone on the boat got their quota, and returned to Homer at 5 pm.

We enjoyed our last cocktail hour of the trip sitting on the beach, watching the tide come in, before preparing our fresh fish catch for a great dinner. After culling out 4 great fillets from the booty Ray then gave the rest away to 2 couples camping nearby. At $27 a pound in the market, they were thrilled. Finishing dinner, we walked down to the "Fishing Hole" and watched the anglers for awhile. This is a "Pond" that sits behind the breakwater, and is filled and emptied with each tidal cycle. It's a favorite spot for the locals to fish for salmon, although this night, the only one seeming to have any luck was a seal that was chasing them down. When it spotted one, it looked like a high speed submarine just below the surface, leaving a huge wake. Returning, we went up to the scenic overlook over the RV shop, to take in the view and get up close to the eagle that is always on the peak of their roof. This is such a beautiful place, with the snow capped mountains and glaciers surrounding the ocean views from our location. Glad we stayed here.

Also, in case you haven't noticed in the pictures, "Gabby" decided to shave his beard off this morning. I personally am glad to see it gone. We head back to Anchorage tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement






4th June 2017

Loved reading all your adventures and seeing all the Beautiful pictures posted. Another spectacular trip. Hopefully we will be able to partake of the next one. Can't wait to see the journal.
4th June 2017

Fabulous
Looked forward everyday to reading your blog- what an adventure!!!
4th June 2017

Enjoyed every adventurous day!
Thank you for taking the time & effort to share your spectacular trip! Loved all the stories & educational info regarding your 2017 journey! Pictures were so great, beautiful, thought provoking & yes, hilarious too. Must say tho.....We're so jealous of your travels...it puts us to shame ;)

Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb