The Great Escape


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
March 8th 2010
Published: March 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

what we escaped fromwhat we escaped fromwhat we escaped from

Look closely, you'll see the white lump that is my car, which we have been told has completely disappeared since this shot was taken a few days ago.
Mother Nature made our departure from home this time more exciting. After an incredibly mild winter, we were hit with several large storms in Homer. Like white-out, gale-force winds, my car is buried for the next month type storms. Our wonderful house-sitters, Oliver & Danielle, pitched in gallantly as we dug out and schlepped our stuff to the truck, which fortunately was parked close to the road and not trapped at our house. We had mixed feelings as we drove away...happy for ourselves to be escaping and bad for them to be left behind. We hope they'll enjoy the hibernation time in our cozy cabin with Alfred, Bandit & Clyde to keep them company. ;-)

The drive wasn't as eventful as we feared it might be. The forecasts for blizzard warnings and 85 mph winds had freaked us out, but we hit the lulls in between and made it to Anchorage. We were coming to attend the wedding of our friends, Matt & Krista. Dave actually got to do his one-time Alaskan thing and perform the ceremony. Matt was the one who performed the ceremony at our wedding, so it was pretty cool. The wedding was far from typical, as
Leaving for VietnamLeaving for VietnamLeaving for Vietnam

Every journey begins with a single snowshoe step.
it required skis or snowshoes and took place at a beautiful spot in the Chugach Mountains.

After a super fun wedding, prom-themed reception and two days of last minute errands and business, we're ready to fly away at the crack of dawn tomorrow. First stop will be Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. From there we haven't really figured it out, but I'm sure we will.

Follow along if you like...and as always, drop us a line. It's always fun to sit down at an internet cafe on some other part of globe and read bits and pieces from home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

SchleppingSchlepping
Schlepping

borrowing a neighbor's sled to take loads of gear to where it needs to go.
See ya suckas...j/kSee ya suckas...j/k
See ya suckas...j/k

We are so lucky to have these guys house and pet sitting for us! We hope they enjoy a little hibernation time. We also hope to repay the favor sometime!!!
a different kind of wedding processiona different kind of wedding procession
a different kind of wedding procession

The lovely bride surrounded by family and friends on the way to the ceremony sight.
the ceremonythe ceremony
the ceremony

Reverend Dave presiding...


8th March 2010

Stop your bitching!!!
It's been nasty hot and humid here all summer - I'd give my let boobie for a good snow dump right now! :) Congratulations to Matt and Krista too!

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb