Prudhoe Bay - The End and the Beginning.....


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Fairbanks
August 10th 2015
Published: August 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Fairbanks our adventurous team headed as far North in Alaska as we could ride our motorcycles.
We picked up the Dolton highway and rode across the Yukon river bridge where we had lunch and refuelled. We reached The basic service town of Coldfoot where we refuelled again and had our dinner as we were heading onto Wisman and there was nothing to eat there.
We left the three Harley Davidson's in Coldfoot and Radar, Nikki, Pistol Pete and Julie jumped in the truck with Wayne for the challenging ride to Deadhorse the next day.
We stayed at Boreal Cabins in this rustic village. The sun was still shining at 10.30 pm and the night only went to dusk before the sun rose again.With such a tranquil setting Cupid was active with his arrows and shot one through Nikki's heart when Radar PROPOSED TO HER!! Lucky for all of us on tour she said YES. Congratulations to you both, sorry about the single beds for the next few days. The following day we left reasonably early for the long haul up to Deadhorse via the Atigun Pass and the haul roads that were made famous by that TV program Ice Road Truckers. We had a Rocky Road Tailgate lunch on the way. There was a lot of road maintenance but all in all a good ride.
We all arrived at the service town of Deadhorse and found our lodgings at Deadhorse Camp. No body lives in Deadhorse, they all fly in for two weeks and fly back to Anchorage or Fairbanks at the end of their two weeks, all expenses are paid by the company.
This is the starting point for Gerardo,Rosco,String and Trev and Kim for our BIG RIDE down to Ushuaia at the bottom of South America and the Antarctic Ocean.
The next morning we were all assembled at 8:15 AM for our tour that would take us through the oil fields and to the waters edge at Prudhoe Bay where the Arctic Ocean rolls ashore.
After the tour of the oilfields we returned to our lodgings, packed up our bikes and headed South, back down the Dalton Highway to Coldfoot for the night.
About now Trev and Kim had realise that they left their bag at Deadhorse with all their money and passports.The people at Coldfoot were so good, they phoned up to Deadhorse and they confirmed
Yep, rolls were pretty good!!Yep, rolls were pretty good!!Yep, rolls were pretty good!!

Julie and Nikki enjoying their Tailgate lunch
that they had it and said that their bag would be on the plane that night and would be in Fairbanks the following day for us to pick up.
The dreaded Dalton Rock Snake grabbed Strings front wheel and dumped him in the mud and slush of the reconstruction zone, the only damage was to his pride.
The next day we were all ready to leave Coldfoot and Trev's BMW just wouldn't start, Bugger, there was a ramp close by,so we loaded it onto the back of the truck and a despondent Trev and Kim get to ride with Wayne back down to Fairbanks.
This was great experience to ride beside the 800 mile 48inch diameter oil pipeline and learn about the permafrost and how they dissipate the heat and also the balls that hang down to neutralise the vibration frequency, all fascinating stuff to me.
This is our lay day here in Fairbanks and the temperature is around 8degC. The BMW people are not that interested in working on Trev's bike today so he has gone off to another fellow that helped Lawrence fix his leaking front fork seals last week. At the worst scenario they may have to
This Goob sets like concrete!!This Goob sets like concrete!!This Goob sets like concrete!!

The mix of Calcium Cloride water, fine gravel with a bit of water and we sorta have concrete.
stay here another couple of days while we go down to Anchorage and meet us back in Tok.
The good news was,we went to the airport and picked up their bag,the down side to this story is that US$2,500 was missing.........a bit of a sour taste to leave on.
Stay posted for another Blog, but in the meantime check out our Rocky Road Facebook page.
Cheers. Rosco


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Beamer down.....Beamer down.....
Beamer down.....

Just wouldn't start in the morning???
Stone damage on the Dalton Stone damage on the Dalton
Stone damage on the Dalton

Pistol Pete was not happy about this.
Welcome to Alaska Welcome to Alaska
Welcome to Alaska

Rosco with the Harley gang.
Alaska - CanadaAlaska - Canada
Alaska - Canada

Howard is standing in Alaska and Radar is in Canada. There is a clear cut passage between the trees.
Kiwi Louts on the road Kiwi Louts on the road
Kiwi Louts on the road

We ran across these Kiwi louts riding up the Dolton. Under all that is Mike and Ian Vinsen from Auckland, along with Bryan Donaldson from Ashburton.
Tailgate lunch Tailgate lunch
Tailgate lunch

Lawrence and Howard chew the fat.
Gerardo and Rosco Gerardo and Rosco
Gerardo and Rosco

This is the beginning of our great BIG Ride Adventure.
On the bus tour On the bus tour
On the bus tour

This bus took us a through the oilfields to Prudhoe Bay.
Owen out of place up here. Owen out of place up here.
Owen out of place up here.

Owen the Penguin is hitching a ride with me down to the Antarctic where his family come from.


11th August 2015

following
Love the blogs Rosco and appreciate the time you take to present them for all. A huge CONGRATULATIONS to Radar and Nikki. Great news. You're right Rosco. Thank goodness she said yes, otherwise a pretty uncomfortable tour I reckon. Keep safe all. X
14th August 2015

What a great adventure
Thanks for sharing

Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 23; qc: 90; dbt: 0.1162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb