Fairbanks, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Fairbanks
August 30th 2007
Published: September 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Thursday, August 30, 3007 In the morning we visited the wildlife refuge to check on the bird banding station. In the fall and spring they band songbirds migrating through the area. There weren’t many birds migrating this morning, evidently. One of the men working with the program said it was a slow day. Usually they band 100 birds a day and by 9:00 am this morning they had only tagged 11 birds. We walked around the fields and I enjoyed taking photos. I love the birch and aspen woods.I also took time to use my telephoto lens with the Sandhill Cranes.
In the afternoon Frank stopped at a rock shop and while he was spending time there, I photographed old cars that the shop proprietor collected. He was an avid collector of all kinds of things; things dealing with gold mining, old cars, old cash registers and old scales (weird combination). In addition, there were all kinds of rocks. He was a character; used to teach geology at U of AK in Fairbanks, wrote books and even had a radio show years ago. Now I guess the rock shop takes most of his time.
We took time to do errands today and now we are stocked up and headed back down toward Denali. We’re going to Denali State Park for the weekend and then the National Park on Monday.
The weather here has been great. The high today was 78! The aspens are starting to turn yellow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

NeighborsNeighbors
Neighbors

I enjoyed walking through the woods at Creamer's Field
Old CarOld Car
Old Car

The Rock Shop owner Frank visited collected old things.
Another Old Car Another Old Car
Another Old Car

I loved the patina


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0753s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb