Fairbanks, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Fairbanks
August 29th 2007
Published: September 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Frank and Otto the BearFrank and Otto the BearFrank and Otto the Bear

Here's Frank posing with Otto the 8ft 9inch bear who resides at the U of AK Museum
Wednesday August 29, 2007 The clouds were too thick to see the northern lights last night so we didn’t stay up to watch. The morning, however, was bright and sunny. We went to the University of Alaska’s Museum of the North; a nice museum, interesting and contemporary. We enjoyed the video presentation on the Aurora. It was scientific, but well done. Fairbanks is actually one of the best locations to see the northern lights and September and the spring are some of the best times. It doesn’t have to be cold, just clear. The storms that cause the auroras have 12 year cycles. Currently, it’s about half way through the cycle and the auroras increase in intensity as they peak. The more intense they are, the greater the chance to see them further south. Auroras have actually been seen in Mexico. There is a website that tells where they are most likely to be seen on a given day. I’ll have to start paying attention; it may be possible to see an aurora in Richmond!
That was pretty much the day - - rather low key.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb