Wildlife!!!!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Denali
June 9th 2006
Published: June 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Mel and Mark at English Bay - VancouverMel and Mark at English Bay - VancouverMel and Mark at English Bay - Vancouver

Introducing Jan to Vancouver with a drink at English Bay.
This blog is all about WILDLIFE!!!! between the three of us we took about 600 photos on the trip (thank god for digital cameras) but don't worry we couldn't fit them all ..... so only up loaded the good ones!

Jan (Mel's mum) came over to visit and the next day we headed up to Anchorage in Alaska. The flight left Vancouver in the evening and we didn't get to Anchorage till after midnight, flying in over the snow and mountains which surrounded the city was a fabulous introduction to the "Land of the Midnight Sun!" as it truly was still light when we arrived. We picked up a hire care and headed to our hotel to crash!

The next day we headed south to Seward (a small fishing village) where we took a 6 hour boat trip and had our eyes peeled for WILDLIFE! It was a day filled with stunning scenery and glacier ice cocktails. This area is known for its rich diversity of animals with migrating whales, sea lions, puffins, sea otters, orcas, bears and mountain goats.
Whilst we were exploring the fjords we heard the amazing thunder sounds of a glacier calving and saw huge chunks of ice crashing into the ocean.

After Seward we headed inland to Denali National Park, it was a long drive but we fed ourselves on some local salmon and off we went. The scenery here was very different - as it was early spring it still had a cold, barren, wintry feel but it was still amazing. No cars were allowed into the park so we had to take a guide bus. As we traveled further into the park and up higher into the mountains it changed from spruce forests to tundra. The bears were out with their babies which was very cute!

We were in Alaska 5 days and all in all it was a fascinating adventure to an amazing place and it was great that Mum made the long journey to visit us!!!!

Cheers
Mel & Mark





Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Alaskan foodAlaskan food
Alaskan food

Mark ate Rudolf on a pizza - Yum!
Boat TripBoat Trip
Boat Trip

Boat trip through Resurrection Bay.
Holgate GlacierHolgate Glacier
Holgate Glacier

Notice the boat in the foreground - gives some perspective to the size of this glacier, eh!!
Moose SignMoose Sign
Moose Sign

We actually saw a Moose, Caribou and Reindeer on the side of the road!
BearBear
Bear

A Black Bear - not as aggressive as the brown Grizzlies!!!
Mel and Mark in WhistlerMel and Mark in Whistler
Mel and Mark in Whistler

We took Jan up to Whistler where there was still plenty of snow in May!!!


10th June 2006

Travel Brochure
You sure you're not on commission from the Government to encourage tourism? Sounds a bit like a brochure! Looks pretty sweet over there. So much water! Struggling to see water here at all (although it is raining today thankfully)! Keep up the excellent blogs.
15th June 2006

great piccies!
Love the photos! No need to ask if you are still enjoying being in Canada. Loren and i miss you at our catch ups, we will have a glass of wine for you next time and toast to you and the sea otters, they are so cute! Let me know if you are in Singapore in the future as i am moving there in September, about time! Email me as I cant find your address, michele74au@yahoo.com.au, when you get time. You both look great, and VERY happy! take care chele x

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb