Day 21/22 - Portage, AK to Anchorage and Home 6/5& 6/2015


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
June 7th 2015
Published: June 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 21 - Portage, AK to Anchorage, AK


Man, did it pour our last night in Portage. In fact, when we awoke on Friday, it was still raining hard. Ray was disappointed, as there was a trout pond right near us he was hoping to try out, but it was too wet to go. We had a leisurely morning, getting up late, having breakfast, and doing most of our packing. We gave all our extra food to Kirk, the manager here at the RV park, and he seemed very appreciative. Cost of goods up here is quite expensive, so it was good to help him out. We finally got underway around 11:00 AM for the short drive back up to Anchorage. We decided that we were going to go into the downtown area, look at some shops and get some lunch before checking our RV's back in. Well, that proved to be more of a chore than we figured on. Trying to find parking for 3 - 28 foot RV's in downtown Anchorage was a joke. We finally got split up when we all couldn't get through the red lights together, and our walkie talkies didn't work amongst the tall buildings. We ended up calling Bud on our cell phone to tell him we were getting out of the city, and he told us he found a spot to park near the main street. We headed back in and finally found them in a parking lot. Downtown Anchorage seemed like endless gift shops, one after the other. We picked up a few things, then headed over to the Hard Rock Café for lunch.

After lunch, we gassed up for the last time (we were down to 2 gallons), and headed over to Great Alaskan Holiday's facility to check in. They were a lot more efficient when we checked out the RV's in Iowa than they were here, which surprised us. They parked our RVs in their back parking lot, and we were able to have our dinner and spend the last night there. We set the alarm for 3:00 AM and made arrangements for 2 cabs to pick us up in the morning at 3:45, as our flight home left at 5:30. Everyone but Ray had a terrible night's sleep.

After an uneventful check in at the Airport, we had some breakfast, and boarded our flight to Boston, by way of Minneapolis. Our limo was waiting for us at Logan Airport when we got our bags, and we ended up getting home around 8:30 PM, exhausted.

While it's so good to be home once again, after being away for 23 days, we already miss our little home away from home. This trip will be among one of the best vacations that we've taken. The experience of driving the Alaska Highway through some of the most scenic land in the world was amazing, and sharing it with good friends made it even more special. We so enjoyed writing this blog, and hope that it was enjoyed by all. Now on to planning our next adventure. Happy trails!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



9th June 2015
Cocktails in the parking lot

Great job you guys!!!!

Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb