TESLIN TO SKAGWAY


Advertisement
Published: July 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

July 11, 2011 – TESLIN, YK TO SKAGWAY, AK
“ALASKA ISN’T JUST A PLACE YOU VISIT, IT’S A FEELING YOU EXPERIENCE, AND REMEMBER FOR A LIFETIME.”
This was one of the most beautiful days on our trip thus far. The scenery was so dramatic words cannot do it justice and the camera just cannot capture the scope of its majesty. Once again we were blessed with beautiful weather – warm and sunny with clear skies, so we were able to see all the mountains along the way. Driving by the lakes the water was not only an interesting green colour from glacier water – but also still enough to capture some lovely reflections as well. Coming down into Skagway the highway has a long 9% grade for 11 miles. Halfway down we cross into Alaska and pass through U.S. customs. The town of Skagway is small and tries to maintain the way it looked during the days of the Gold rush in 1897-98. Our first night here we went to the “Days of ‘98” show where we learned the story of Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith, a notorious con man who reigned over Skagway during the wild days of the Klondike gold rush.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



16th July 2011

Alaska!!!
Glad to see that you made it. The scenery is spectacular isn't it! There is still so much more to come. When I see these pictures and you have such nice weather I wish we were there again too!!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb