Another Beautiful Day on the Water


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alabama » Mobile
October 14th 2011
Published: October 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Actually, this afternoon we stopped about 15 miles north of Mobile Bay for the night. We're at Big Bayou South Canot. It is a wide channel, clearly marked just off the Mobile River. A fast fishing boat passes every once in a while. We are enjoying snacks on the flybridge with a lovely gentle breeze. I'm thinking we should have packed a fishing pole. Instead, we'll conger up some less interesting grub.

Last night we stayed at Lock 1 anchorage and were joined by a sailboat, Visitor and her two mates. They quickly anchored while we struggled to make sure our stern achor held. It is amazing to us that we can be so tired at the end of the day (after not doing much but steering and looking).

Rog, for the first time is transferring fuel from the generator tank to the regular fuel tank. It's done with the push of a button, but he's complaining that it's slow. Today, we met and passed many more barges and several loading stations. We saw a huge co-generation plant being built about 30 miles north of Mobile. The cargo on this end of the trip seems to be more coal and chemicals. The Tug drivers have been very accommodating in helping us to pass them. We met our first swing bridge of the trip. We had about a 30 minute wait, first for a train ladened with coal and next for another train. This bridge is scheduled to be replaced with a more typical Lift Bridge. In fact we were warned that when this process begins, there will be no passage for "awhile" (undefined).

We expect to stay at a marina in Mobile Bay tomorrow (Dog Rivera Marand for several days. We'd like to rent a car and really see the sites. Maybe even get some real "Mobile Seafood."


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

The VisitorThe Visitor
The Visitor

Sailing Vessel: The Visitor


15th October 2011

It appears you guys are making real good time. I didn\'t expect you to get to Mobile until the end of next week. I assume you are at the northern end of Mobile Bay. Where do you go from here? Enjoy the rest of your trip!
17th October 2011

Re: Another Beautiful Day On The Water
You must be living on a Wishbone! (Sound familiar?) Looks and sounds as if you are having a great trip. We will look forward to seeing which route you take from Mobile. Have fun and be safe. Barry & Pat

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb