Food for thought...


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
November 22nd 2009
Published: November 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Buenas tardes from San Christobal...

We visited some amazing ancient ruins yesterday in Mont Alban and learnt a little more about the ancient culture. They pressed the childrens skulls in the first 18 months of life to give their skulls a dome shape, they also inter-married to keep the blood line pure - problems! The carvings in the ruins show Down Syndrome, intestines on the outside, club feet just to name a few. It is still an amazing feeling to sit at the top of the pyramid and take in the view, butterflies are aplenty up their too. After a wander around town and a REALLY good meal, (Cheryl and I have never been so happy to eat top grade lamb cutlets and sweet potato in our lives!) we took an overnight 11 hour bus ride over the mountains to where we will stay for the next 2 night - San Christobal. We were really impressed with our cold showers at 8am this morning and after some time putting the room back together again we are happy to let our bags spill out a bit. This is also our first chance to do washing, (our clothes were ready to go sightseeing by themselves!!) and the little man down the road is busy at work making them all clean and sparkly as we sit here typing.

This morning we wandered around the town taking in the local sights, churches and markets. This is the town where a number of mountain indigenous tribes come down to sell their wares and do business. They wear their traditional clothing which we have both enjoyed observing but unfortunetly we cant take photos of them due to their religious beliefs. They have chokos here which was surprising to see - 2 different colours which is a little amazing. Burger King (and Subway but dont try to tempt Cheryl in there!!) is still following us none the less.

Lets talk food now... a close subject to both our hearts 😊 Old El Paso has alot to answer for, tacos look nothing like we see / eat at home, here they rolled, fried and swimming in green goop. Nachos is nowhere to be found at all either. We have tried Mole, a chocolate sauce made up of 13 different ingredients including spices and chillies which they seem to like to pour over most things, not a big fan really but at least we can say we have given it a go. Fried crickets are a delicacy which we passed on but we did give fried cactus and cactus love juice a go - the plant tastes like bland capsicum and the love juice... well.... no comment. The mascal (good quality tequila) is awesome especially when mixed with fizzy lemon cordial and we continue to sample the margaritas in search of the perfect one. We think Mexican drinks are better than Mexican food at this stage .

We have also ventured into the market places and used our Spanglish to barter for some goodies including a few "husband catchers", explaining that one will have to wait till we get home!

Tomorrow we exchange our bus rides for a mini-van to the church where they sacrifice chickens, we are hoping tomorrow is not sacrificing day! (Chicken tonight anyone????!)

Hasta luega...
Cheryl & Leanne

Advertisement



24th November 2009

Food glorious food...............
Hi leanchez, At least your giving the food experience a shot. Absolutely enthralling reading about your gastronomic experiences and hope you enjoyed the chook experiences and I'm sure whatever happened it won't put you off chicken at least for a day or two. Sounds like the drinks are the way to go and they are not lacking in variety which is the main thing San Christobel sounds like an interesting place and I'm glad your enjoying the cultural experience of it all. Yor reports have been great and have given us all a great insight to Mexico and all its colour etc. I'm loving them. Continue to enjoy. Regards Michael
30th November 2009

Hi Leanne Sounds like a really exciting trip! That info about the kids heads and the inbreeding is interesting ... bizarre ... but interesting!! By the sounds of things I'll keep my tacos old el paso style! Looking forward to reading more! Speak soon Camilla

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb