Crazy Cancun


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Chichén Itzá
December 1st 2009
Published: December 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Howdy,

We pick up our story in San Cristobal de Las Casas.....

We went to visit the nearby highland village (chicken sacrificing village), which was an eye opener! The church is quite amazing, they have no pews and the floor is covered in pine needles and there is candles everywhere (the villagers go in there to pray for all sorts of things) its a fire hazzard waiting to happen. Unfortunately for us, there was a family who were sacrificing a chicken, not a pleasant experience, we must say. We went shopping around the local markets and tried to communicate with the locals, which was a task within itself a very exhausting time, although we did manage to make some purchases (of course).

We took a mini van to Palenque, along the way we stopped at Agua Azul & Misol Ha waterfalls. Agua Azul falls were absoutley beautiful, we were able to swim at the waterfalls, which was very refreshing, the water was quite forceful and kept pushing us off the rocks (not in a elegant way!), it was shame that we couldnt spend longer there. Misol Ha falls, were also good, but we enjoyed the first ones more so. The bus trip took practically all day and it was very windy, we were glad to get to some straight road.

Arriving in Palenque, it was a very small town, but very peaceful and relaxing, especially after a beer in the pool...arrrrr......

The next morning we went to our favourite ruins Palenque, which is located in the rainforest. We did some tracking through the rainforest to see these amazing sites. We climbed over, under, in and on the most amazing ruins we have seen to date!!!!! (vamoos chickas) It was very warm that day and the wicked witch and the wizard were melting!!! Upon our return I relaxed whilst Leanne went for a run (the locals thought she was nuts!) after doing 7 laps of the same block (im sure she was the talk of the dinner table).

The next day we travelled by bus all day to Merida, which is the capital of Yucatan. That night we had dinner and watched a free dancing /singing show in the town square. We got to see the hit master (couldnt understand any of it) but he seemed to be pulling hit after hit out (he was like the Mexican version of Hemi). The male dancers wore some interesting shoes - they were like white sandals with wooden soles (leanne informed us they are called a Cuban heel) whatever, they were ugly!!! We had a free day in Merida the next day, where we walked around the town and visited all the free museums, completed the day with pizza and beer on the roof top of the hotel, it was a nice way to finish the day off.

Then we took another bus to Chichen Itza (ruins) were we spent the morning walking around the ruins, fending off peddlers (almost free, almost free for you lady) and being entertained by badly dressed American tourists. The ruins were quite spectular, but nothing like Palenque, it may be because of the amount of people there and the fact you cant climb them. Then at 4pm, we caught another bus to crazy Cancun and Leannes visa (there were lots of cheers!).

Cancun is like another American state, its a bit crazy, but nice to be in some civalisation!!! It was quite late by the time we arrived, so we had some quick showers and went out for dinner at Hooters (of all places). Leanne, Ted, Andrew and myself then hit the dance club scene. It was the boys choice, so hence we ended up in a gay nightclub. Leanne and I have certainly seen some things on our trip. Mexican gay men, dance like straight men (badly). The go go dancers have something to answer for (interperative dance is not a good look on a podium), however we did appreciate the one in the red undies, the verdict is still out with the one wearing tinsel undies!!!! The next day we had a fairly quite day, hit the shops and the pool for a quick dip and then off for our farewell dinner with the tour.

So the tour has now ended and its just the two of us (again). Today we went to the beach, snuck in via a fancy hotel, the water was rough so they red flagged it (no swimming), but we enjoyed our time laying on the beach reading and relaxing and enjoying the aqua water. Tomorrow we are off to Playa del Carmen for the day, which is another bus ride about an hour away. We have another two days here after that, so we have plans to hit Jimmy Buffets Margarittaville and soak up a few more rays.

One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, no more!

Leanne & Cheryl

Advertisement



1st December 2009

The legend grows & grows & grows....
Hi leanchez, Thanks for the latest installment. Great stuff. I had a good laugh over your chook experiences,your gay nightclub experiences and everything else as well. What a fascinating country. You guys sound like you've also become experts about the Mexican bus system as well. I bet you'll be glad to see the end of them eventually.Leanne has a a heart as big as Phar Lap going for a run. Good on you Leanne, although I was relieved to see that the locals didn't go and fetch the man in white coats to take you away when they saw you running around. Undoubtedly any running you have done will offset the tequilla etc and keep you in good stead for your epic comeback on the road in 2010....Glad you've got a little time to chill out so to speak for at least a little while before your travels resume. Sounds like the tour was the way to get to alot of these places anyway and you've got to experience so many different things. I will be looking forward to the photo's down the track as well. Enough prattling for now and continue to enjoy. Regards Michael

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb