Mexico City


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
October 21st 2008
Published: October 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, it´s taken a few days to get to a place that has internet cafes. Mexico city didn´t seem to have any (well, not any obvious ones).

Thankfully the flights over were uneventful (always a good thing).

We stopped overnight in LA just to break up the flights. Although we were exhausted once we got off the plane, we ended up doing a city tour around LA and seeing all the typical touisty sights such as the Hollywood sign, Venice beach, Mann´s Chinese Theatre etc.

The most intersting event was in a McDonald´s store in LA (we were desperate...) Merryn was trying to get a bottle of water. You wouldn´t think that would be too difficult, surely?

"Can I please have a bottle of water?"
"huh?"
"A bottle of water."
"Sorry?"
Pointing: "A BOTTLE OF WATER"
blank stare
"Agua" (Spanish for water)
"Oh, OK".

Who would have thought we´d need Spanish this early?

Mexico City was a frantic kind of a place. We arrived around 5.30pm - just in time to meet some of the other people we´d be travelling with and head off to a "nice" restaurant located on the 44th floor of one of the few tall buildings. "Nice" meant the "pretend nice"... ie looks good, but service sucked. It took an hour to get the meals to some of us. The meals were "OK" but nothing to write home about. (so why am I writing about it?) But the veiws were great, especially from the loo. The last cubical was closed in so you could sit on the thrown (so to speak) and enjoy the view at the same time. A unique experience.

The next day we did a city tour which was pretty good. Highlight was a visit to the Anthropology museum which was probably one of the best museums I´ve ever been to.

On our third day in Mexico City we took a trip out to Teotihuacan - some old temple ruins which were pretty impressive.

Mexico is certainly geared up for tourists. There are mariachi players all over the place as well as others who all want to get a tip at the end of a performance that you´ve not requested. Oh well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



22nd October 2008

mexico city
Hi Vera, what was the name of the building? was it AXE or something like that? If so, that's just around the corner from where our friend lives! I didn't go to the restaurant you were talking about though. Did you enjoy the turibus experience? Matt x

Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0163s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb