Tee-a-Gianna not Tee-a-wanna!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
March 1st 2018
Published: March 1st 2018
Edit Blog Post

Metro to the American/Mexican border , takes about 45 minutes.

20 minutes in line then a passport check and entry stamp.



Sketchy looking crossing facilities but remarkably efficient.

Bit of a walk to our first public transit , ahh private bus. 17 Pesos to the American Dollar.

Guide took us to a Spice Market, spent 20 minutes , tried a Tamarin, date like texture, little sweet/sour happening. I’ve had this before, both Kate and I enjoyed it.



Sounds like a ride now to beer and taco’s , oops only tacos. Traditional Taqueria , smaller version than what we would get in America but tasty. Family style luncheon with kids and dogs , yes Chihuahuas!



Our guide gave us the history of the city, which is number 5 in population now in Mexico at 1.8 million. City was incorporated in the late 1800,s. After the Mexican/American war , this city evolved as the Northern Frontier, initially used as a workaround Prohibition. 60k people cross the border on foot daily.

Had a look at a Catholic Church , the strip where taxis would have dropped you in the 60,s for
Tourist Photo OpTourist Photo OpTourist Photo Op

This is the entrance to the street of eniquity
a night of shenanigans and a wander through an underground artists haven, which was established to get away from Cartel street violence.

Then to a bar where they wanted us to drink Mescal. Kathy had a shot and a beer ,Kim just a cerveza



What surprised Kathy was that it was a huge border town. We are used to smaller towns at our borders but this was huge with a lot of poverty , even though our guide said there was a lot of industry due to the NAFTA agreement.





Back on the Metro headed North, think we could use a slice of Pizza and some Golfdfish crackers now. Then sleepies. 2 slices of pizza, like 1/2 a pizza!, and a beer for $10 , beauty.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

muralmural
mural

Underground street artists mural, once part of the 1st Casino


Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb