On to Merida


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
April 5th 2006
Published: April 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Mayan TempleMayan TempleMayan Temple

The Impressive temple at Chichen Itza
We departed Playa del Carmen and caught the 7.30am bus, and made our way to Merida.

On route to Merida, we stopped to have a look at the ruins in Chichen Itza. The ruins are very impressive, on on a big site. In the main part is a huge temple, and if you stand around the temple and clap your hands, the peak of the temple makes the noise of a bird. Im not sure if this was a design or coincidence ( my research in to the Mayans has been totally nothing ), but its pretty impressive nonetheless. There is also a huge court where they had the Mayan Ball game, it was good to see this as it actually would have been, after seeing the show in Xcaret in Playa. The site was very busy with tourists, many people making their way from Cancun and passing through the area.

We caught our next bus from Chichen Itza around 5pm, for a 2 hour journey to Merida. Our hotel The Trinidad is close to the main square, and is owned by an Englishman, and is a pretty cool place to stay. After a quick walk around the centre,
Chichen ItzaChichen ItzaChichen Itza

There are lots to see here at the ruins, we spent 2 hours walking around the site
you get the feel of travelling again after 6 days in Playa del Carmen. Its a very nice place, very colonial Spanish feeling again, as with most towns and cities in this region. I was feeling pretty tired, so I decided to grab a sandwich, and get back to the hotel.

Today was spent just relaxing ( again, Im pretty tired at the moment, and its very very hot here ), and I watched the Arsenal v Juve game on tv. Then this afternoon have been looking around the main square in town, took some pictures, and went around the market, which you shouldn't go to alone at night according to our English hotel owner.

Tonight will be the same, hopefully, just a meal and an early night, as tomorrow we move on again to our next destination, Palenque, which again is a day travelling by bus.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Night in MeridaNight in Merida
Night in Merida

Just by the main square, we arrived around 7.30pm. Its a beautiful City
Main Square, MeridaMain Square, Merida
Main Square, Merida

Typical sort of Spanish main square, but with loads of pidgeons!


Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0158s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1018.6kb