Back to the Jungle


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Chiapas » Palenque
April 8th 2006
Published: April 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Agua AzulAgua AzulAgua Azul

The beuatiful clear waters near Palenque
The bus journey from Merida to Palenque was long.

We set off at 8.30am, and arrived in Palenque at 6pm. We then got a taxi from the bus station to our lodgings, the Don Mucho cabins. The site is made up of cabins which is pretty much in the jungle. Its a really cool place, and the cabins are extremely comfortable. We checked in, and then had a meal in the restaurant, where there was a live band, and flame throwers for entertainment, and was very good. We sat and chatted to the other travellers that were there ( which there were many, its a popular place for travellers ), had a few beers and then to bed.

The next day ( Friday 7th April ) there was an option to visit another local Mayan ruin, which I declined, and opted to take up an excursion to visit Agua Azul, translated in English as Blue Water. Agua Azul is a river, which during the dry season gives a spectacular blue colour. The drive to the river was approximately an hour, and we stopped to visit a waterfall on the way. The water at Agua Azul was indeed very blue,
Fire Fire Fire

A fire juggling display at the Jungle lodge in Palenque
and it was nice to swim around and take in the landscape, it was also really hot, maybe in to the 30's, so it was great to cool off in the water. The area is a popular destination for locals, and tourists alike.

We returned to Don Macho at 6.30m, and again had dinner and watched another live band in the resrtaurant. That night we befriended some local Mexicans, who took us in to Palenque and to the local nightclub. A really good day, and a good night to cap it all off.

The next morning we left the cabins at 8.45am, to catch the bus to our next destination, San Cristobal. The cabins would be the last Jungle adventure of my trip, and they were easily the best. No spider incidents this time to report thank god, although one bloke had a tarantula crawl in to his rucksack. Yikes.....!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 70; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb