Ruta Puuc - Labna & Kabah


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
April 8th 2010
Published: April 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Snake and BoySnake and BoySnake and Boy

A childs head emerges from a snake... cool! Snakes are a sign of fertility for Mayans.
The next stop was Labna, a more dispersed site with hardly any restoration having taken place. There was an impressive Mayan arch which served as a gateway towards the other cities as well as other palaces in various states of ruin.

We took a detour for lunch and stumbled across a local restaurant. We were the only customers so decided to make it easy for the chef by all ordering burritos. After plenty of corn chips and salsa to get us started, we were presented by the tastiest, and biggest, burritos we have had. It was a meal and a half and thoroughly worth the detour.

With our stomachs bulging, we headed to Kabah, a site famous for its hundreds of stone faces. By this time the weather had closed in and a small storm gave us some respite from the 34 degree heat. There were only two buildings at Kabah that had been partially restored, the others still in ruins. The main building was stunning with hundreds of stone faces in the walls honouring the Mayan rain god, Chaa, with the hooked nose. Most of the noses had broken off but some were still intact to allow us to imagine how amazing the building would have looked in its prime.

By the time we finished at Kabah we were running short of time and had to skip a couple of other sites in order to get to Uxmal, the biggest site in the area, before closing time.



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The BoysThe Boys
The Boys

Walking to the ruins...
Mayan ArchMayan Arch
Mayan Arch

Impressive arch...
Stone HeadsStone Heads
Stone Heads

Part of the ruins ready to be restored...
FacesFaces
Faces

The wall of faces depecting the rain god, Chaac.
ChaacChaac
Chaac

It even rained while we were there...


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 17; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb