Merida in March - Dzibilchaltun


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
June 23rd 2009
Published: June 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It was VERY early when we got thereIt was VERY early when we got thereIt was VERY early when we got there

As it became lighter we found Guillo and his friends too.
When friends Nancy and George traveled with me in March to Merida, Yucatan, Mexico, one of the sites we planned to visit was Dzibilchaltun, located about midway between Merida and the coastal city of Progreso. Dzibilchaltun is pronounced something similar to diz-bill-chal-toon and said as one word of course, but it sounds much more natural from a native of the area.

We were especially excited about the fact that we would be there for a twice-yearly event from the heavens, possibly thought of in more than one way by many. I'm referring to the Spring Equinox, mistakenly called by some (me included) and various websites as the Spring Solstice.

The ancient Mayan ruins of Dzibilchaltun take your breath away and you do not have to climb anything to enjoy the beauty and atmosphere. Nancy, George, new friends Ed and Shelley participated in several activities of exploration whereas I was grounded by my own choice.

The wonder of experiencing the dawn rising and breaking through the temple ruin know as the 'Temple of Seven Dolls' would, in itself, be a reason to visit the Yucatan at least once during these occurrences if not twice a year and for the rest of your life.

The tales of us all getting to Dzibilchaltun at 4:30 in the morning are stories within itself. Looking back now, it's funny, but in spite of everything and ourselves we managed it.

You can use the search engines on Dzibilchaltun, Temple of Seven Dolls and or Mayan ruins for a lot more information. Don't miss looking up the cenote Xlacah that is on the grounds of Dzibilchaltun, though it was closed the day we were there.

You can find so much more information that is much more than I'm able to share with you here (and besides, my information is from some of these sources and not my own knowledge).

Furthermore, I haven't tried to put titles, captions or cute sayings to most of these pictures that George took (with possibly some of Ed's thrown in) because there's simply no need to unless it's to name one of us in the photo. The Temple of the Seven Dolls needs no introduction. You'll see why. The cenote is the hole in the ground with water 😊 that you'll easily recognize.




Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Getting closer as dawn breaks 9Getting closer as dawn breaks 9
Getting closer as dawn breaks 9

Wearing white has a special meaning but I've forgotten exactly what.


24th June 2009

Equinox-Solstice
It's Spring and Fall Equinox (equal night) in March and September. It's Winter and Summer Solstice, which in the Winter is when the days start getting longer and in the Summer they start getting shorter.
24th June 2009

WOW
That is quite spectacular! I'll have to add that to my bucket list. Thanks for sharing!
24th June 2009

Dzibilchaltun
Right, Randy, and I want to go to all four! George is quite the camera snapper!!
8th September 2009

Retired? Who me?
No, Jeff. I'm just taking a deserving break between projects and having a lot of fun. Tired of going to projects that overlap without a break. I'll probably be in Dallas during the holidays this year and will see y'all if there's a chance y'all will be in that part of the world. Son's in Florida now so may even go there as well.

Tot: 0.312s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.102s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb