TGI Friday's Bartender Competition


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
September 1st 2007
Published: September 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

In Merida, of course !!

TGI Friday's is within comfortable walking distance from my apartment here in the Yucatan and was one of the very first places that I discovered in March. All of the staff and many customers have become my very good friends. Having arrived in the Yucatan from Texas without a soul that I knew and no Spanish, they, at TGI Friday's, were a blessing! Not all speak English although many do. Doesn't seem to matter to them and especially to me! We get by just fine!

That thing called Dean (that I am sure you got tired of me talking about) caused TGI Friday's Bartenders' Competition to be postponed for a week, but that was okay as it then was the exact week, if not day, of their 13th anniversary in Merida. And, friends, the party was on! The following is an article I wrote for YucatanLiving.com to use in full or part. The pictures that follow did not all accompany the article, but I wanted all my friends to see them!

THE FLAIR IS THERE!

What a show! What a crowd! What fun! TGI Friday’s held their annual Bartender’s Competition on Wednesday, August 29th coinciding with the 13th Anniversary of TGI Friday’s in Merida!

The competitors, customers and staff were in full party swing! The judges’ occasional smiles and laughs convinced me that they were having a very difficult time trying to remain solemn!

AND THE WINNER: Ricardo Heredia !!

Contestants were judged on their personalities, as in meeting and greeting the judges, and in taking, making (with bottles, glasses, mixing cups, ice, garnishes and straws all twirling and flying) and serving said judges - on twirled and floating napkins, of course!

Ricardo will represent TGI Friday’s Merida in the next step of the 8 month event of TGI Friday’s World Bartender Championship. This competition, per TGI Friday’s corporate spokesman, begins in August with approximately 8,000 TGI Friday bartenders and concludes with the finals held in Las Vegas in February.

TGI Friday’s has long been credited with having invented the flair style of bartending and the championship honors this charm, talent and their charismatic bartenders around the world!

All funds raised during this world wide event, over $100,000 USD per year, benefit charities. What a wonderful thing!!

Media coverage and emcee duties were courtesy of
Staff having a blastStaff having a blastStaff having a blast

And cheering their guys on!
EXA FM 99.3 and Ms. Jennifer Ramos, who definitely contributed to the carnival style of the night.

Congratulations Ricardo! Good luck in the next round!

Feliz Aniversario Merida TGI Friday’s!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

DiegoDiego
Diego

This little cutie had a huge fan base cheering him on!!
Whirling and flinging the good stuffWhirling and flinging the good stuff
Whirling and flinging the good stuff

And my photography skills still suck! But hey! I wasn't a judge so I was steady drinking. May be one reason why my photography skills suck!
Congratulations TGI Friday's MeridaCongratulations TGI Friday's Merida
Congratulations TGI Friday's Merida

Everyone is a winner and it shows!!!


5th November 2012

birthday
my moms birhtday is today

Tot: 0.441s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.2221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb