Mexico’s weather sizzles Day 4 and 5


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
May 4th 2007
Published: May 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Places to stay
Maison Lafitte hotel

PLACES TO VISIT/SEE

anthropology Museum
Merida


From Chichen Itza to Merida and on to the Hotel Maison Lafitte, which will be our home for the next two days. The town has very narrow streets, and each street alternates a one-way direction. Being a tourist, learning this system was very helpful. With a million residents, Merida is the largest city on the Yucatan. After settling at the hotel we visited the Museum of Anthropology. This museum houses one of the finest collections of Mayan artifacts in the Yucatan. It is an excellent complement to a visit to any of the archaeological sites in the region. Somewhat reluctant, we hired a guide in the museum, he was great, well informed and well worth the cost.
One factor very obvious to me, it the heat, it is sweltering. After lunch we returned to the hotel to the pool. It is located in a hacienda setting with trees around it, and very refreshing. As we walking down the main street Calle 60, every time we stopped a Mexican approached offering to help.? They seemed so sincere, until they started selling “stuff”. If I were paranoid, I would say there is a conspiracy against the “Gringos”.
The Portico Del Peregrino Restaurant was a good choice for dinner, an intimate up-scale restaurant offering excellent Yucatan dishes. Leaving the restaurant, another Mexican approached and suggested we visit the co-op. We did visit the co-op and purchased two shirts, and one hat, we understood the purchases benefited the children learning the Mayan Language. As we walked back to the hotel many people stopped to tell us what great hats we had??? It was all too coincidental.
Today we visited the Dzibilchaltun Ruin, recognized as the oldest continuously used Mayan ceremonial and administrative center on the peninsula. We visited the Temple of the Seven Dolls, which is the only known temple with windows, and its location suggests it was used for astronomical observations. It also has a great museum on site (and it is air conditioned!).
Another swim in the pool and (for some reason) we decided to walk the Paseo de Montejo, a famous street in Merida. The temps were over 90 and the humidity was over 90!! Eventually we returned to the town plaza for dinner. It is Saturday and everyone is having a
Hacienda Chichen Itza  Hacienda Chichen Itza  Hacienda Chichen Itza

Hacienda Chichen Itza This was the pool that was a great relief.
party in the streets. With Mariachi bands playing and people dancing and singing, we returned to an air-conditioned room to sleep (sorta of).



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

 Dzibilchaltum Dzibilchaltum
Dzibilchaltum

This is a Maya work. Can you pronounce this word?
Through these doors the priest would hold court.Through these doors the priest would hold court.
Through these doors the priest would hold court.

Twice a year the sun would like up with these doors


7th June 2007

"The ruins of Central America and SA"
Aren't the Mayan ruins something to see. It always amazes me how the Mayans of Central American and the Shaman of the Inca Empire of SA could build such massive structures with primitive tools, and many just for ceremonies or to honor their emperor or God, rather than to live in. It is really mind boggling. We thought the Museum of Anthropology was interesting.
9th June 2007

Bull???? Or Cow??
Just an observation ... but is that really a BULL ... or a Cow?

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb