Veracruz


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Veracruz » Vera Cruz
April 30th 2007
Published: April 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

mon 23/04 - crazy day being treated like someone important by the british council. Interviewed on ibero 90.9 radio and for Paso de gato magazine about the edinburgh fringe. Ate in a very fancy restaurant where they give you two types of sangrita with your tequila.

tues 24/04 - we went out to see the Guadelupe shrine. the image of the virgin mary appeared as an oil painting on this guys apron and a very funny conveyor belt moves pilgrims past it, as if you tins in a supermarket. We also went to see the tlateloco ruins where they used to play football to decide who got the honour of being sacrificed to the gods. Its also where an unknown number of students were massacred in 1968.
We went out to the pyramids at Tetouhican and scaled the ridiculously high steps of the moon pyramid and got very out of breath climbing the su pyramid (third largest in the world). The tetouhican people used hairless dogs as hot water bottles.
There have been massive protests against the legalisation of abortion here and an incredibly big riot control police presence everywhere.

wed 25/04 - Today we went on our first long bus journey out to Veracruz. The hostel we´d found turned out to be in another town. its very airless and holiday resort like here.

thurs 26/04 - Not a good day. Very very hot. 40 degrees? airless and really really polluted small beaches. Glad to be moving on. The aquarium was fun though. very cool and manatees and giant mackerel.

Advertisement



6th May 2007

I need to see a picture of you and sacha on the conveyer belt!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb