Day 7 - Saying !Hasta Luego! to New Friends


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Sonora » Puerto Peñasco
June 21st 2013
Published: July 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

It's Friday so it's our last day at the Center with our new friends from San Rafael. Every time we step into the Center it's bustling with activity and purpose. This morning Eneida had the kids learning how to make bracelets. Karen was getting the backroom ready for the local Vet who comes once a week to spay and neuter the cats and dogs. Mark was hard at work with the garden and helping a man who just showed up with horrible feet sores from walking to the border and back - in flip flops!

Here's a quick run-down of what "El Centro Comunitario Cristiano" offers the local people living in the San Rafael neighborhood:

1. Lunches, Monday - Friday, with Sermons, Bible Study and Kids programs.

2. Fruits and Vegetables distribution

3. Pet Rescue, Maintaining kennels for animals. Working with animal shelters in Phoenix to get them adopted and the local Vet here in town to get them spayed and neutered.

4. Compost and Garden and Greenhouse - daily jobs to maintain nutritious soil and growing plants.

5. La Segunda - Their Secondhand Store - Where they collect donations and sell clothing and other items at a discounted price.

6. Teach Sewing, making bracelets, life skills, and teaching English.

7. Medical Clinics. Next week an eye doctor is coming to make eyeglasses for each person who needs them. They give medicine as needed and basic healthcare. So they need space for medicines too.

8. Fix basic car repairs.

9. Make and sell their own brand of Salsa.

10. Provide hope to people who don't have very much.

This list is just what we observed and participated in this week. There's so much more that goes on here! We got to drive around the neighborhood with Mark and Karen to look at possible build sites for them. Please PRAY for God's leading and for Mark and Karen to have God's wisdom to know what the next step is for the ministry. Their first choice for location would be to buy about 6 lots next door to Eneida's home. That would keep them very central in the area and give them plenty of space for all these ministries. They're also considering the purchase of a block of lots that will be by a new school. Thanks for praying for these decisions! Also, if you'd like to - please send them a donation through their ministry below:
Mark and Karen HigginsLiving Stones Ministry - Mexico P.O. Box 218Lukeville, AZ 85341

970-424-1037

www.livingstonesministrymexico.com
**The multiplication of your donation is eternal!

Before we came down here Karen and I had emailed each other about what my family could do while we were here. She had mentioned to help build relationships. She and Mark are managing the entire "beehive" and there's always business work to do on top of handling the immediate emergencies that ALWAYS comes up so it's hard to really get to know the people coming in to hear the Word and eat a meal. Plus the language differences. (We could use more bilingual people here!) It's really a cool thing how God answers prayers! As a family we jumped right in and helped where needed and really enjoyed playing with the children and getting to know them. The Good Amigo Pen Pal idea is taking off! Please pray for all those legistics to come together. !Gracias!

One of the local pastors gave the message today from 1 Peter 1:17 "Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, Fear God, Honor the king." Our heart's desire is to fear God above all else and to not live in fear of this world or other people. And to live with God's love leading the way. This trip for us is definitely rooting our family's faith in Christ Jesus our Lord alone!

I was still feeling sick - we have a whole new meaning for "rumbly in the tumbly!" We tried making bracelets, played at the park, and soccer too. Geoff picked us up at the park and we packed in 20 of us into the good ole MiniVan - now that's a CarPool! Love this Mexican driving!! Before we knew it - it was time to say goodbye to our new friends. We shared many kisses, hugs, teary eyes and thankful hearts! The kids were so sweet. We all hope to see each other again - Si el Dios queria!

Back home we showered and rested. The kids tried to ride the waves for a bit but it was too rough so they came in. Kai collected crabs and Pearl collected feathers. We see pelicans every morning and every night. It makes us imagine God sending his angels to watch over us! They really are fascinating creatures! For dinner we hosted una FIESTA at our place for the staff. Irma, Zeneida, and Olivia all made the food and we had about 20 of us here enjoying an evening together. Pearl and Eneida's youngest, Zabdi, have become best lil' bosom buddies! It was a really nice way to say "Thank you" and "Goodbye". We had lots of good laughs with each other! The moon's almost full so it's especially bright reflecting on the waves. GORGEOUS! Buenas Noches, la Luna!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb