Those Wily Stingray


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Sonora » Puerto Peñasco
March 23rd 2009
Published: August 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

With a couple friends we went to Puerto Penasco, Mexico, dubbed "Rocky Point" by the gajillion Americans that frequent. It's a short jaunt from Tucson--only about 215 miles southwest. The road there leads through miles and miles of scenic desert until, like a mirage, you reach the once sleepy, ocean side town. I guess it's not really a town anymore though parts of it have the feel as though it still is. We rented a house in Las Conchas. It's the area of the city that is packed with condos and beach side homes. We opted for a house instead of the Resort/Hotel filled Sandy Beach because A: it's a whole house! Fully furnished. And more privacy. Plus it was right on the beach. And B: because we wanted to stay away from the crowded beaches. And boy did we! We had the whooooooole beach to ourselves. It was crazy how few people were in Rocky Point, especially since it was Spring Break time. I guess it's because of a mixture of the economy and the drug wars going on in border towns. Many universities issued warnings against going or if you went, to at least be safe. Duh! So, it was weird to not see as many people but it was also a little more peaceful. At the beach, we noticed a stingray. And then another. Ooh, hey look--another! Stingrays were EVERYWHERE! Needless to say, someone got stung (more like stabbed!) by one. That someone was Jeff! He came out of the water and did NOT look like a happy camper! One look at his foot and I knew why. He ended up taking a trip to the Red Cross for safety measures, got some shots & visited the Pharmacia. After that fiasco we all went downtown, hit the bar scene, did lots of dancing, rode a mechanical bull and had a fantastic time in good ol' Mexico!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

usus
us

on the Gulf of California


8th August 2009

Nice
u of B enjoyed! ouch, he got sting-foot
9th August 2009

It had to be you!
Was that stingray stab on the same foot the copper head bit you? Love, Mom
10th September 2009

Christmastime?
So...I was thinking, maybe we should all pitch in and go to Rockypoint for Christmas?
17th September 2009

Congrats
As soon as i started readinf your comments, i could feel how much fun you´ve gotten in rockypoint, that´s awesome...i live most south of that place, but i´ll be there next year... thanks for coming to mexico

Tot: 0.419s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.101s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb