Sunsets, Stone Beds, and Horse Baths..... Just another day in Mazatlan!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Sinaloa » Mazatlan
November 26th 2013
Published: November 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our Car in the RestaurantOur Car in the RestaurantOur Car in the Restaurant

We are parked right next to the kitchen inside the restaurant!
After departing from our private hotel in Isla de Las Piedras (Stone Island) we set out to search for food. We were told to drive about five minutes down the road to get to the *center* of town. I seriously could of walked there in five minutes and it turned out to be more like a string of restaurants. I also use the term restaurants very loosely. They are places to eat with a sand floor and makeshift roofs with open sides. No complaints here though as this leads to a beautiful view of the ocean as well as a nice warm breeze! We choose the last restaurant for no apparent reason. Since there was no one around we weren't sure if any of them were even open. They assured us they were open and told us to go ahead and pull our car into the restaurant to park. We were parked in the sand right in front of the kitchen!

Breakfast was delicious! Erika and her mom had fresh fish and I had scrumptious eggs. All of this was washed down by an amazing papaya smoothie! The only drawback was the constant flow of people peddling their products. As
Our second hotelOur second hotelOur second hotel

This is the little house that we pretty much had to ourselves our second night on the Isla de Las Piedras. The upstairs is a little porch where we sat and listened to the ocean waves.
Erika's mom bought a couple silver pieces from one of them, they all became hopeful and we were swarmed. After we finally sent away the peddlers, we were able to speak with the waitress-cook-owner. She told us her cousin owned the hotel down the street and we should get a room and stay for another night. We were planning to head back to the mainland of Mazatlan but after experiencing one of the most relaxing breakfasts I have ever had in my life we decided another day on Isla de Las Piedras would do our souls some good.

In her usual fashion, Erika's mom was able to talk the owner of the hotel into giving us two rooms for the price of one. We were able to get two rooms in the only open hotel on the island for $60 total! Once we set our stuff down, I headed out to enjoy some beach time! I decided to go back to the place where we had breakfast and when I arrived the waitress-cook-owner said, CHRISTINA, HOLA! Funny that I do not remember telling her my name! I asked if I could use her lounge chair if I bought a
Post Bath Post Bath Post Bath

This is the man bringing in his horses after a morning bath.
soda. Sure! she replied.

In the afternoon we headed to Mazatlan mainland by way of a lancha (a small taxi boat). We spent the afternoon shopping in the market and eating some delicious Mexican food and made it to the ocean in time for the sunset! Beers in hand we watched as the sun slowly dropped below the horizon.

We got back to Isla de Las Piedras only to find that mostly everything was closed. It was only about 7 pm! We did find a small shop to buy a few more beers and we sat on our amazing porch and listened to the waves crash into the shore. I should mention that the actual hotel was full so we were in a 'house' that is part of the hotel and has about 9 rooms in it. We were again the only people at this house! Around 9 pm we decided to call it a night as there was nothing more to do. We considered going for a late night walk on the beach but it was literally pitch black! We laid down after a long day only to find out that our beds were made of rocks. They were literally like sleeping on a concrete floor. Erika commented, Stone Island... is that why they make their beds out of stone? At some point we were able to fall asleep.

The next morning we tried a new restaurant and were again welcomed to our own private meal with a beautiful ocean view. This time we were greeted by a view of two men bringing their horse to the beach for a bath. They literally walked her into the ocean and scrubbed her down. She actually seemed to enjoy the water. The best part was that she had her baby with her and it was adorable to watch this tiny fowl prance around in the water while his mama got a bath!

I will end this by saying, if ever you have a chance to go to Isla de Las Piedras, do it! It is an amazing hidden gem. The people who live there are so friendly and welcoming. They act as if they know you from the minute they meet you! It is relaxing and beautiful and the most I could ask for in a beach retreat. Although we accidentally booked a hotel their, I will definitely be back as soon as possible for another trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Pacifico BreweryPacifico Brewery
Pacifico Brewery

This was the view from our lancha on our ride over the Mazatlan mainland.
Sweet RideSweet Ride
Sweet Ride

We saw this awesome bug parked right by the ocean!
Tractor on the roadTractor on the road
Tractor on the road

You cant see it clearly in this picture but this man had a baby in his lap and was driving down the road in his giant tractor.
MazatlanMazatlan
Mazatlan

The view from the beach.
MazatlanMazatlan
Mazatlan

Relaxing at its best!


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb