Side trips in Q-Roo


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo
January 14th 2010
Published: September 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ek BalamEk BalamEk Balam

Entering the city
After the barage of traveling woes it was nice to set up shop in the luxary of Cancun for a few nights. However, while recharging the batteries with copious amounts of beers and chips and salsa has its upsides, it is difficult to not get a bit of the travel bug. I visited both Coba and Ek Balam a long ways back, but wanted to see what the progress was at both of the sights in the recent years. So, I built up the courage to put down the bloody marias and I convinced some of the fam to rent a car for the day to make the trip.

First we headed out to Ek Balam. It is still in a state of disrepair... as the government comes up with the funds they remove a little more of the jungle or put up some more of the stucco they believe covered the buildings so long ago. Since we visited years ago not much has changed, but it is still one of my favorite sights due to the lack of massive crowds.

Then we headed on to Coba, which is one of my favorite ruins in Mexico. The place is
Ball Court at Ek BalamBall Court at Ek BalamBall Court at Ek Balam

Traditional Mayan ballcourt you see at all of the ruins
massive and home to the largest pyramid in Mexico. You can rent bikes to make the trek between pyramids a bit easier, but strolling between the sites, enjoying the shade provided by the massive trees surrounding you, enjoying the company of your family... it seriously is a fantastic place to lounge around.

Anyway, I´m not going to say much on these since it was about seven months ago and there are more interesting stories to tell! Check out the photos, or my older blog on times spent in Cancun...


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Ek BalamEk Balam
Ek Balam

View from the second pyramid
Ek BalamEk Balam
Ek Balam

Big pyramid in the distance
Ek BalamEk Balam
Ek Balam

Nature making its way in here
Ek BalamEk Balam
Ek Balam

I liked the stone work above the door way
Ek BalamEk Balam
Ek Balam

Thatched roofs were put in to protect some of the plaster work going on below.
Ek BalamEk Balam
Ek Balam

The following plaster work was put on more recently. This is what they think the pyramids once looked like, with the exception that it was brightly painted.
Ek Balam's AngelsEk Balam's Angels
Ek Balam's Angels

The angles here have some sort of significance. I can't remember why, but our cab driver mentioned something about them
View from Coba's PyramidView from Coba's Pyramid
View from Coba's Pyramid

View from the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan
SkullSkull
Skull

This was on the ground in the ball court in Coba. Kind of an intimidating reminder of the consequences of the game...


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0816s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb