Life Carved Out By Time


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Puerto Aventuras
February 4th 2016
Published: February 5th 2016
Edit Blog Post

"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."~

This trip we've really had a chance to stop and smell the roses. Or in this case a chance to stop and stare at the bodacious African red tulip tree which let me tell you is in a category all of its own. Rich bold red color and large scooped-shape blossoms, which makes you stop in your tracks and admire its beauty.

There's no doubt that when traveling with kids/family, you are much more inclined to be distracted and caught up with their well-being and needs. But this trip we've been free as the breeze to do as we please. Which is explore, and take the time to sight-see extensively at a leisurely pace. No trying to please everyone over day trips, and then being mule-packs to get from point A to point B. It's been a delirious feeling of freedom each day that Al & I set out on our OWN.

It's been such fun hiking the nature trails, walking through the natural landscapes of tropical flowers, plants and palm trees, past the golf courses, marinas, and the different bodies of water from lagoons, to sea, to cenotes, to inlets etc. It makes you realize there is just SO much going on right underneath your nose if you just stop and take a look!

The Yucatan Peninsula, due to its tropical nature is home to many animal and plant species found nowhere else on earth. Just like its cenotes - underground gin-clear rivers where the earth has collapsed over hundreds of years, offering divers, snorkelers, & swimmers a chance to explore Mother Nature in all her glory. Al says diving in a cenote (with a licensed diver) is one of THE most unforgettable experiences he's ever had. (Next to meeting and marrying me you all chime in!) And just the chance to go through a mangrove on a boat, or float on an inner tube or paddle in a kayak down a lagoon river is as good as it gets. I am awe of this area and frankly I'm still in awe every time I see a different variety of palm tree 😊 There's still SO much to do and we will.

Another beautiful feature of the Yucatan Peninsula/Riviera Maya is their beautiful use of stone. It's used in landscaping, from small rocks to huge boulders and each is unique and eye catching. I love the big stones on the lawn in front of our terrace and the travertine and marble throughout our condo including the walkway into our condo. And the use of wood, specifically the wooden bamboo walkways here in our condo complex. Nothing is overlooked here and the attention to detail is magnificent.

The other day Al and I had an early morning, up and at 'em to get to the caleta (lagoon/cove or ocean inlet) that we discovered a few days ago. As luck would have it, it was very quiet with the exception of the security guard (who paid us no mind) and in the distance the boats going by on the sea. Other than the wind being up which we were grateful for as it's been very hot and humid. After walking the nature trail we found we had this beautiful inlet to ourselves. I so enjoyed getting into this crystal-clear shimmering water with its varying depths, varying colors, and the fresh cool and warm feeling that it offers at the same time. I didn't snorkel, I just swam, floated and luxuriated in the water with the sun on my face and the taste of saltwater on my tongue. If you want to feel like a kid again, swim in one of these.

Al snorkeled and saw schools of fish, and he swam about taking it all in. It was glorious. Only thing that could've been better was having the girls with us. I would've loved to have seen Ava's big grin as she swam with me, and seeing her delight as she could see right down to the bottom of this beautiful spot carved out slowly by time.

After we dried off we walked back through the nature trail, and saw these beautiful butterflies hovering and flitting by. Birds were chirping, cicadas were singing, the palm trees rustling offering a picture-perfect day. A type of day where you're wearing a smile all day and don't even realize it. The type of day that makes you look back fondly and smile...

Upon leaving the area, we stopped at a place called The Bamboo which is a chic little spot on the other marina, and it is known for its smoothies, breakfasts, homemade desserts and bagels. Al is enamored with their apple turnovers; he says they are the lightest pasty he's ever had. And he's had a few dates with them while here. While I'm not all that much of a sweet eater, I did enjoy their almond cake. The main baker Lorenzo has a light hand at these delicious treats and he's darn proud of it!

While sitting there on their cozy couches by the water, we watched the crew load the boats with drinks, food and equipment for the catamaran tours. They are all so jovial with each other, rough-housing, joking, and teasing each other while they prepare for another day on the open seas under the sweltering sun.

Near the marina, there is a Shipwreck Museum. A big cannon and anchor sitting outside the museum caught our eye. It is the only marina museum in the entire Riviera Maya, and it is responsible for locating and preserving the region's wrecks dating back to the 15th century, and teaches about how wrecks are excavated and then preserved. (I will talk about it in the next blog and post pics).

Speaking of ships (man I like a good lead in!), back in January, a patrol boat sunk near this area and the 2nd biggest Navy support vessel was brought in with an onboard crane to strip the boat of its equipment, and attempt to haul it up. Many of the guests staying at the local resorts had a bird's eye view of the in-depth recovery process. Apparently some of the DJs at the various resorts had a bit of fun with it, playing music from the movie Titanic over the beach loudspeakers. Now that's funny.

We are finding it one of the hottest visits we've ever experienced this time of year. It was cool to start in the early part of our stay, now it is very hot and extremely humid. We freeze water in our bottles, and about 10 minutes after leaving our condo, the ice has started to melt quickly which leaves puddles of water in its wake. Despite there being a very strong breeze daily, it is smoking hot and sunny. No complaints, just a weather update!

We have enjoyed trying some different dishes while out and about. A beautifully cooked mahi-mahi (or dorado fish) which would remind you a bit of cod or halibut. Beautifully seasoned and cooked. Al enjoyed a mouth-watering pork tenderloin confit and said it was so unbelievably tender that it melted in his mouth. Another night we savored a stuffed chicken with ham in a cream sauce, with sauteed garlic spinach and a very creamy fettucine Alfredo. Not to mention, a scallopine chicken marsala/piccata combination that made us go quiet while we enjoyed each bite. Yesterday I enjoyed jumbo shrimp (an oxymoron if I ever heard one!) wrapped in bacon, with a chickpea reduction sauce. I've got to say it was very very tasty. And I enjoyed it all the while dining on a cliff overlooking the Caribbean while Al body surfed and they played classic jazz (my absolute favorite!). Nothing could've been better unless a whole bunch of you showed up and said "We're here!"

Another Day Trip

We woke up early yesterday (Thursday), and took the bus to Tulum again. To say we are sweet on Tulum is a bit of an understatement. It's like I'm on my first few dates with Tulum, as we are getting to know each other and finding everything totally amusing, sweet and she can do no wrong. It's hard not to enjoy its palm-laden streets, chic-bohemian vibe along with its hip funky restaurants, yoga lofts, upscale bo-ho boutiques, and wellness spas that welcomes everyone from backpackers to jet-setters (which puts us somewhere in between, but more on the end of the backpacker scale!)

Once a sleepy beach town boasting beautiful jungle and beaches, Tulum has now become an eco, low-key cosmopolitan escape. And as soon you hit the beaches, the song "The Girl from Ipanena" will come to mind. Picture old blue eyes, Frank Sinatra singing it...

Tall and tan and young and lovely
The girl from Ipanema goes walking and
When she passes, each one she passes goes "ah"

When she walks, she's like a samba
That swings so cool and sways so gentle that
When she passes, each one she passes goes "Ohhh"

Tulum offers a cool vibe yet a laid-back Latin pace at the same time. And the further south you go, the beaches seem to get more beautiful if it's possible. The water is so enticing and so clear when you dip your toes in. The sand is so soft you feel like you are walking through powder. This is the furthest south we've been while in the Mexican Caribbean. We walked so far along the beaches I made a joke to Al that we'd soon be in Belize. (Wouldn't be able get in, didn't bring our passports).

Each restaurant, bar, or boutique hotel is carved out from the jungle and offers a vintage look. Palapas built around a lush rainforest canopy which seem to rise up as far as the eye can see. Most places are outfitted with funky tables and chairs, and some restaurants have these really interesting mini-sinks with a faucet and plants/flowers in them. Emptied Don Julio bottles are filled with sand and flowers for a cool effect. Waterfalls, old bookcases, mirrors, antique sewing machines greet you in different cafes. Honestly I can't even explain its rustic elegance, but we did try and capture it on film thanks to Al.

In Tulum you may very well spot an A-list actor, supermodel or world-renowned fashion designer. This happening place has it all...(Even Al & I made an appearance 😉 They bring decorators in from all over the world for their fancy eco-hotels and restaurants. The palm tree lined streets are brimming with sun seekers, many riding bikes, their faces glowing with contentment.

We enjoyed the beaches, taking photos, walking, exploring, chatting
with people, swimming, body surfing, having a freshly squeezed margarita and tasting homemade spicy salsa and tortilla chips that were given to us on the house. It was a fabulous day. A day you wish you could share with your very best friends. And I've got to say, sitting up on a small cliff-side restaurant watching the waves hit the rocks was reminiscent of a movie scene shot in the French Riviera. The two Riviera's are rather similar; the Mayan and French, Rivieras known for their stunning coastlines and beaches, and international vibe. (However, as for price, the Mayan Riviera wins every time...)

Keep in mind this is not a cheap place to visit. The Tulum hotel/beach zone is ritzy. However, if you want to eat in the town, you will get a much more Mexican feel, while spending less pesos as drinks and food are much more reasonable. However, it is so worth the visit to the beaches.

To get out of the sun, we stopped at a beautiful elegant restaurant/bar to enjoy a cold drink. It was beautifully decorated with very refined service. Despite it being just near noon, they had a full staff working. And they had 2 separate bars. One was a wine bar with imported wines from all over the world with a waiter working to polish each wine glass within an inch of its life. And then there was a separate cocktail bar which was rustic, but decorated with fresh flowers in vases, and cut up fruit in tall punch jars. Funky jazz was playing, and there was a total of 10 staff, to 5 guests. I'm expecting this place gets very busy later on in the day.

Tulum is a place to go to really relax. It puts you in a zen-like zone (or is that how you feel once you spend your budget on a day there?!) I think it's safe to say we were pretty relaxed by the time we left. Al was meditating (over a beer), I was doing some yoga poses with a margarita in hand, and I think I saw Al with some flowers in his hair and I'm sure I detected the smell of incense on his clothes. 😊 We were blissfully relaxed when we left which Tulum wants you to feel. They want you to feel like it's the best place in the world so you return again and again. You'll never want to date another picturesque coastal town again, as Tulum will be sure to keep you infatuated, seduced and besotted.

We hopped on the colectivo to get back to our condo, to enjoy another quiet evening reading, with the sounds of the ocean in the background relaxing us. They were calling for rain, and I woke in the night to the sound of it coming down. So refreshing and soothing, and the night-time rain makes everything such a deep rich color the next day.

UPDATES

*I am happy to report there has been no incidents with the golf cart. Once the new battery was put in, Al and I were back to zipping around.

*While my blogs indicate we've been busy, I've had to take it easy here & there due to unusual headaches. We finally called a doctor and she came right to our condo. She's been a leader in medicine in the area for 35 years. After some tests (won't go into details), we have gotten to the bottom of the issue, and I'm on some meds which are starting to turns things around. Happy to say...I'm back on the horse (or golf cart as it were). Don't worry Mom, all is good!

*Further to the 5/10K run here last Sunday, I learned a few things: First, the eldest participant was a gal named Fran, a mere 94 years young. Asked if she bettered her time this year due to steroids, she apparently laughed a big hearty "NO"!

Another one of the participants, Tom, 71 years old has run in 17 Boston Marathons and was 500 yards away from crossing the finish line in 2013 when the pressure-cooker bombs went off in Boston, killing 3 spectators, plus a police officer and wounding 300 people. One can only imagine his sheer joy crossing the finish line to whistles, cheers, and honks from fishing boats and cars in this tight knit community. (And they raised funds for education for disadvantaged kids. I will be making a donation too). I love that you can go on vacation and do good things, and hear these feel good stories.

So after my last blog, what the heck is wrong with me? Surely I could keep up with a spry 94 year old? Heat or no heat, I will endeavour to come back next year, lace up my runners, stretch, run in place, and when the gun goes off, watch out. I'll take off like the wind. (And when no one is looking, head to the marina for a nice ice cream cone!) then show up near the crossing line to finish with 95 year old Fran.

To our friends J&P, thinking of you guys during this very difficult time. Sending you our love, thoughts and prayers.

Signing off,

Sal & her "esposo" (husband). *See our pics below...(On 2 pages - click to enlarge!)

*If you find a spelling or grammar error, please call: 1-800-I-AMON-VACATION


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 32


Advertisement




5th February 2016

On the subject of heat...
You write in this blog:"We are finding it one of the hottest visits we've ever experienced this time of year." May I dare put forward, that is because you two, Doña Sally and Don Al are there in your mini Moon! Your photos are really nice. I especially love the one of your heart on the sand <3 ....Bring some of that sun back for us suckers back here. xo
6th February 2016

Live Carved out by time
Zully! Thanks for the reply - perhaps it is the moon and the Latin romance! It's not hard to have a great time here. I'll bring some sunshine back with me just for you :)

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb