Isla de Mujeres-AMAZING


Advertisement
Published: July 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Carpe Diem - Seize the Day ~

Well it's safe to say we "seized the day" yesterday by going to Isla Mujeres. We had thought we'd found paradise at Yal Ku lagoon and in Akumal but let me tell you, OMG, Isla Mujeres has it beat hands down. By far the best excursion yet. (I think you will really enjoy our pics and video!)

This beautiful island combines the beauty of the Caribbean, the dense tropical jungle and the wonderful heritage of the Mayan civilization. It stands out as one of Mexico´s natural treasures, a truly delightful paradise on earth.

In addition to its beaches and the stunning natural architecture of its cliffs, Isla Mujeres has archaeological sites and marine parks with incredible natural reefs. It was literally like we had entered a magic land where everyone had a smile on their face and feet were coming off the ground with happiness.

Not only is Isla Mujeres an amazing and beautiful island, but it's home to a turtle conservation farm which was spectacular and a true wonder to behold. Tortugranja is the name of the farm, and the locals who run it are fantastic. But before I get to it specifically I'd like to tell you about everything before that!

We drove from Playa to Cancun and past Canun by perhaps half an hour to get to Puerto Juarez where the ferry leaves to Isla Mujeres. It is a fun drive through Cancun looking at all the buildings and restaurants.

The ferry costs 70 pesos return which is about $5.50 CDN which is a pretty good deal. The ferry is spacious, and we sat on the top level, and there was a guitarist that played Santana and rock while we sailed to Isla Mujeres. The color of the water was absolutely a gift to your eyes; one second it's turquoise, then blue, and then green, constantly shifting colors. It was a very calm trip over which takes exactly 20 minutes. We arrived to a marina with restaurants, huge boats, catamarans worth probably a million dollars (eek) and it was a hopping place.

As soon as we got it, we were directed to the golf cart rental spot and got 2 golf carts that can hold 4 people each so great for a family to see the island. The island is only 5 miles long and a half mile wide at its widest point. So we hopped on our golf carts (I drove one with Rory and Ava, and Al drove the other with Ava and Martha. The island is awash in carts going everywhere including scooters to rent. We almost rented a scooter but there's more shade on a golf cart which was a great idea given it was 100 degrees! A perfect day to say the least.

When you're driving there, you are driving parallel to the ocean, and you see these amazing small cliffs and see the waves tumbling off them. It felt like we were driving on the coast of California. The rocks and plants are amazing, and it was quite an experience. (I did manage to pass Al whahoo. Note to self: those speed bumps are bigger than they look. Lara came down hard and ended up with a bruise! Oops...well if that's the worst of the day we're doing OK.)

First stop was the turtle farm which cost a couple of dollars to get in and see, and boy oh boy, what a wondrous experience. We walked into a building with tanks of water which had all types and sizes of sea turtles. First to come upon, the newborn baby turtles that are SO small and adorable.

Then they gradually went up by age until we got to the bigger ones which all were so colorful and amazing to watch as they come to the surface to get air.The walls had aquariums full of all sorts of marine life too; stingrays, stone fish (the most venomous fish in the world that can give fatal stings to humans as well). It is quite the odd looking thing as it can camouflage itself to look like an encrusted rock. There were octopus and cleaner shrimp which was this funky pink crustacean that acts like the paramedic of any saltwater aquarium.

In fact, this active cleaner will set up shop on live rock or coral and wait for fish to come and be cleaned of dead tissue! Many fish value its services so highly that they even allow the Cleaner Shrimp to clean inside of their mouths without harming the shrimp itself. (My gosh to humans that would be like combining a spa with a visit to the dentist!)

But I gotta tell you, what made the experience so rich was this little old man that worked there, allowing you to handle the marine life. He was in his bare feet sloshing over this long tub with crabs, snails (in their conch shell), turtles, sea urchin, stingrays, you name it. He was so comical, that he lifted the large crab out, and let it run its tentacles through his beard! He's put the crab on your head if you wanted to! Lara held everything and by the look in her eyes it was almost like she was in shock to be really holding these sea creatures!

This man has been around so long at this farm, probably since Moses parted the Red Sea (and he was around to pick up the sea life that got thrown about!) He took us outside to the really big turtles housed in large pools that included green sea turtles, hawk bill turtles, loggerhead turtles, and even let us hold them. Normally in wildlife you wouldn't or better yet shouldn't do this, but being a farm about education of endangered turtles, we got to have that amazing experience. Then he fed them by throwing in pails of sardines. It was all a true nature experience and for someone who loves tortugas (turtles) so much and holds them in high esteem, I felt like I was in dream land. Thanks to the locals who put so much love, attention and protection into these mystical and magical creatures that will perhaps some day take the sea turtles off the endangered list.

After that we drove back towards the ferry area, but it was such a beautiful drive back passing the tree lined streets and private gorgeous villas. Imagine renting a beautiful villa on this island? How greedy (or lucky) can one be?

We stopped at this little beach front restaurant called Playa Mexico. We had this beautiful beach to ourselves with the most perfect ocean views and hammocks. They were preparing a buffet for a boat tour group coming from Cancun so we had this idyllic spot to ourselves. We were in disbelief to find ourselves soaking up the sun and surf and nobody else impinging on our space. I loved the peace and quiet and could picture myself lounging there all day.

After we put our "DD" drivers in charge on the golf carts then we zoomed around a bit more of the island. We stopped at Da Luisa with rooftop dining, and a pool with loungers & daybeds and guess what? Again we had the place to ourselves! Pinch me I'm dreaming; no don't pinch me leave me alone to soak up this experience. We asked about condo rentals if we wanted to spend a night and they had this huge condo overlooking the ocean that would accommodate a group. The food was tasty, fresh and the service impeccable. The quesadilas were stuffed with chunks of chicken and the club sandwich was maybe the best I've ever had with these crunchy little potatoes on the side. And the wine...well, it's always good right Sue?

Then back on the golf carts to make it back by 5:00 to hand the keys over...sniff sniff. We walked the town, had a drink and was back on the ferry and back to Playa by 7ish. It was a fantastic amazing unbelievable captivating enriching day.

If my words can't sum it up, take a look at the pictures. Video of us with the marine life to follow.

Wish you guys could've been with us to experience this wonderful experience.

Signing off on Thursday...Jueves!

"Every island to a kid is a treasure island"...


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



11th July 2013

Just Beautiful...
And I'm not talking about the scenery...I'm talking about the happy couple in the hammock of course!!! Looks like you guys are having a great time as usual. You are creating such amazing memories for your girls which I know they will treasure forever. Pretty hot back home here too. We are enjoying lounging by the pool but I'm still waiting for someone to give me a massage and bring me a frosty tropical drink...guess I'll have to settle for mosquito bites and popsicles. Stay cool!!! Shannon
11th July 2013

Todo perfecion!
Wow, sounds like a spectacular day for you guys. I really loved Isla Mujeres and I had my best ever snorkeling experience there at the underwater statue. Mind you, I had champagne for breakfast with a few crazy Russians so that may partially explain it! Abrazos y besos, su hermana Cindy!!!
11th July 2013

Isla Mujeres
Ahhhh, our absolute favourite as well. I would love to go back. So glad you were able to get there for the day. It is well worth the trip. We loved zooming around on the golf carts. What a great place to see the island. It is definitely paradise on earth. Glad you had such a great time there. xo
11th July 2013
hammock made in heaven

This is the life!!!!!
Wow...hammock time for two...This brings great childhood memories... ;-) This is something to envy for sure. ;-P lol ...and the Playa Margaritas. xo

Tot: 0.531s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 108; dbt: 0.3441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb