Feeling at Home in Puerto Escondido


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Puerto Escondido
March 9th 2014
Published: March 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Red Snapper FeastRed Snapper FeastRed Snapper Feast

Wonderfully prepared with rice, peppers, carrots, potatoes, onions all in a great sauce. Cucumber, tomato, avocado salad. We ate almost all of it.
Sunday, March 9, 2014

Easy day to write about because we didn't do much. Ping the cat woke us up prematurely so we ate an early breakfast at Cafecito. We swam. Joe went shopping for fruit and coffee. I read a book. Joe cooked dinner...great quesadillas and rice and replicated that wonderfully refreshing limonada I had last night at the Pescador. He picked the limes from the tree in the yard where we swim in the pool. Joe did his laundry and I had great intentions of doing mine. And as every day, we met more Canadians.

Joe just now jokingly told me he needs to get to bed early because he has a horseshoe tournament tomorrow. Life is tough. He's been reading about how to throw horseshoes on the internet. We'll see if it does him any good.

Monday, March 10, 2014

Met up with Roger's friends on the beach in the morning to watch the surfers and to get in on the latest gossip. Ate tacos at a cafe that doesn't seem to have a name. It's about six feet higher than the sidewalk and the steps leading to it are tires filled with sand.
Playa Manzanillo Playa Manzanillo Playa Manzanillo

We got to choose which fish we wanted.
Cheap, but not that great although the morning beach crowd highly recommended it. It's another one of those places with no walls, not even for the kitchen.

Joe walked over to The Split Coconut to play horseshoes, didn't win but he and partner, Mike, did well. I stayed home and visited with the owners and heard the interesting story of how they built this house and later I went for a swim in the pool with Steve from across the street.

We took a taxi to El Adoquin to pick up a few things from the farmacia, then walked to Los Caracoles restaurant since we'd heard so much about it. Each night the chef prepares only three main entrees. I had coconut shrimp with fried eggplant and fried apple. Joe had fish in blackberry sauce. Both sound weird, but both were wonderful. Met more friendly Canadians there and had a good time with them. Decided to walk home and stopped by the Split Coconut for drinks and to listen to a good guitar player that was singing all the great songs from our college years. There was a lot of audience participation, those Canadians knew all the words, too. We recalled the first night that we walked home from the Split Coconut that we were a bit wary of our surroundings. Tonight it all seemed so familiar and pleasant. We still try to walk only in the lighted areas and try to stay aware of what's going on around us, just as we'd do anywhere.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Joe was up early, I slept in a bit. We took a taxi to Playa Manzanillo and spent a fun day snorkeling, swimming and splurging on a red snapper feast. Thanks to Roger we knew the way to walk home and where the dead ends are. Joe is tan enough now that the beach vendors don't bother him very much. I think they figure if he was going to buy something he would already have done it. We had a nice evening visiting with our landlord and having drinks on our front patio. I'm feeling the sun, I may have overdone it today. We tried to take a tour to the town of Huatulco today but the company said there was a "blockage" in the road. Playa Manzanillo was a great second option.

Wednesday, March 12,
Red Snapper FeastRed Snapper FeastRed Snapper Feast

It was much bigger than we expected, but we got about a B+ on finishing it.
2014

Took an early beach walk down to the Point and then ate at the wonderful Cafe Ole again and we ordered the same crepe and omelet we did last time. The food was as good as last time but the cafe cat, Domingo, twice jumped on my leg sinking her claws into me both times. Joe thought I was making too big a deal out of it, but then he wasn't the one getting attacked. We had Roger's dog stick with us and Joe brandished that about in Domingo's face and she left me alone after that. We walked back via the residential streets. This town seems to be filled with dozens and dozens of dreams of big hotels and homes that were never finished and are now abandoned and we saw many this morning. So many are in prime locations, seems so sad.

So all of Joe's online studying of "how to throw horseshoes paid off. He and his partner, Dale, beat 15 other teams for the big win today. Joe won about $10 (US). The tournament took five hours and I got a little worried wondering where Joe was.

Got tacos to go at
Playa Manzanillo Playa Manzanillo Playa Manzanillo

That's me waving to Joe.
the Brown Taco, stopped at Juan's little store to get mangos, avocados, and a melon. Watching some tv tonight. Ping the cat is happy we're here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Playa Manzanillo Playa Manzanillo
Playa Manzanillo

I thought it was cute how this little boy was imitating his dad.
Still Life in our KitchenStill Life in our Kitchen
Still Life in our Kitchen

I took this because these are my favorite things here...melon, mango, bananas, limes for my limonada, and locally grown coffee.
Cafe Ole at the PointCafe Ole at the Point
Cafe Ole at the Point

A younger crowd here.


13th March 2014

Ok, now you've got me worried. I am thinking you love PE so much you are thinking of buying one of those abandoned places. It certainly does look beautiful and I love how the laid back lifestyle sounds. But we miss you here in Prescott.
13th March 2014

PE
No worries on that one. Not eager to buy anything anywhere in Mexico. We've heard too many horror stories, but have to admit we've heard none about PE. Miss you, too.
13th March 2014

Enjoying your letters from Mexico!
Dear Joe and Judy: We are really enjoying the missives that you fire our way here in the up-tight, overworked northern locales. Sounds like you both are eating it up - literally! The Mexican government should hire you to do ads for the easy life. Certainly someone in Canada has done that already since there are so many of them there. How long will you be there? It seems as if you've been there forever already. Not to intrude on your fun time there but we are receiving the deposits for the Kilimanjaro trek in August this year. I did send a notice to Joe about it but have not heard back. We can certainly wait for you to get back to the States to receive the deposit ($645) but will need to know within the next 7 days if you still want to go. So far I have deposits for 8 people, which includes Helen and me and Don Webster and his wife Ann, and George Abbott. It will be a fairly small group. Don't know if you heard but Norm is having a hip replacement in April. If he is better by August, he will sign on too. Anyway, if you want to go and will send a deposit, let us know by e-mail to my address. Cheers! WR
14th March 2014

Good eating!
We hope you are observing all the preps for the mouthwatering food you write about. Expect lots of hungry guests when you're back home. Joe, Congratulations on your win! Donna
14th March 2014

Tough life!!
Gee, I feel so sorry for you. All the food to eat, things to see, things to do, new friends, beautiful beaches, red snapper (my favorite fish), et al. Really a tough life. ENJOY!!
16th March 2014

Wondering if you have space for me...
...yes, everyday I wonder... I love your posts and am enjoying it immensely. I only require a small amount of room and a comfortable sleeping arrangement. :)
16th March 2014

Well....
You'd have to sleep on a very tiny couch here. Plenty of room for you in Prescott, though, as you know.

Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb