Surfing Competition at La Barre


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Puerto Escondido
March 8th 2014
Published: March 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


La BarreLa BarreLa Barre

Surfing competition.
Sat., March 8, 2014

It was another early morning wake up alarm for us. We slathered on the sunscreen, walked up to the highway and waved down a colectivo that took us a few miles west where we got off to walk about a mile and a half to La Barre #1 where a surfing competition was being held. Our friend David told us the winners would be going on to compete in Ecuador. We were hoping to cheer for him but David wasn't there as he had to go meet with the city to fight them about the legality of him putting tables on the sidewalk in front of his cafe.

The waves weren't exactly cooperating but we did see some pretty good surfers. We also liked seeing the bird life in the estuary there. It finally got too hot for us so we wandered on over to the only cafe in the area to get out of the sun, get something cool to drink and a shrimp cocktail.

The walk to and from La Barre #1 to where we catch the colectivo was tree lined so it was pretty and cool.

Back at Dos Palmas
La BarreLa BarreLa Barre

We think this is the winner of the youth division. This kid spun around on his board a lot.
we spent a long time in the pool visiting with our Portland friends, Steve and Ann. Maybe you've read on the internet (I've seen it many times) about the dry cleaners that will clean and press a suit for any unemployed person going for an interview? Steve and Ann are the owners of that business. They told us ever since their sign advertising this went viral, people send them money wanting to help out and they get media calls for interviews frequently. I asked if unemployed people actually take them up on the offer and they said that they get one or two people a week asking for this help.

In the early evening we walked to Playa Principal to have a good fish dinner at El Pescador. This restaurant is right on the beach so there was a lot to look at while we ate, Saturday is a busy day at the beach. I was in love with my limonada drink so the waiter told me exactly how to make it. The secret is to use carbonated mineral water.

After dinner we walked along the Adoquin, but once again I saw nothing I wanted to buy. It's
La BarreLa BarreLa Barre

Surfing starts young here.
still fun to watch all the people having fun on a Saturday night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

La BarreLa Barre
La Barre

Kids selling ice cream pose for the camera.
La BarreLa Barre
La Barre

Somewhere in there is our neighbor who owns the house with the pool where we swim.
La BarreLa Barre
La Barre

The surfer is Hugh, the owner of where we are staying. He wasn't competing, just out there having fun.
River at La BarreRiver at La Barre
River at La Barre

Guys netting bait fish.
River at La BarreRiver at La Barre
River at La Barre

A peregrine falcon was scaring these gulls and other birds.
Cafe at La BarreCafe at La Barre
Cafe at La Barre

We had a nice shrimp cocktail here.
Cafe at La BarreCafe at La Barre
Cafe at La Barre

The owners of the cafe used this tractor to transport food and competitors to the contest area.
Walking the Road to La BarreWalking the Road to La Barre
Walking the Road to La Barre

A friendly donkey approached us.
Playa PrincipalPlaya Principal
Playa Principal

Lots of swimmers today.
Ping and Joe watch TV together.Ping and Joe watch TV together.
Ping and Joe watch TV together.

Ping loves us and can open the sliding screen door, so sneaks in at night to hop on the bed.


10th March 2014

So...how is the limonada made?
10th March 2014

Limo nada
Carbonated mineral water, fresh lime juice, bit of sugar...all to your taste. Lots of ice.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb